ADS: Moving to Athens, GA

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

ADS: Moving to Athens, GA

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:37 am

I've been looking in MS & adjacent states for a full time land surveying job for awhile now.

Nada, as far finding an PLSIT position.

My old boss has moved twice and is now a shot caller at a firm in the area. There is a possibility I may leave my current employer and head that way; as it would be a land surveyor in training (LSIT) job.

I know there's lots of beer, lots of music and almost double the # of students in starkville, but how's the quality of life there? For a married dude with no kids who's a light drinker who also likes to stay up late running power tools in his garage accomplishing nothing but the pissin' away of time and energy (read: prefer some buffer between me and the neighbor)? Real estate, crime, etc.? I've read up on the place and read some forums, but, I don't know those people.....

I like to bird hunt and decent ruffed grouse territory is not far away. Plenty of fishing. Deer/ ducks...meh, no worries. That is-what-it-is no matter where I'm at. Looks to be plenty of recreation nearby.

Basically, with all else equal and no current-situation bias, with nothing to lose and much to gain, just you and the old ball-and-chain, would YOU move there based on what you know about the place?
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Re: ADS: Moving to Athens, GA

Postby bigwater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity and you'll be better' n yourself ..
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:54 am

I live in Athens and it is a great town. Low crime rate, lots of music venues, good local beer and restaurants. Also, its not that far of a drive from good fly fishing and upland bird hunting. I know lots of Oxford disciples that wouldn't gush about it quite so hard if they ever made a trip to Athens.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

You will like the area. Way more opportunity for a young man. I have lived in GA for 40 yrs me. My daughter lives there and works for the university. She wouldn't move for anything.
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 am

Athens is a great college town; my college girlfriend was a coed there and I spent alot of time there in the early 80s.

I sincerely doubt that you will regret moving there.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”