yellowstone in the winter

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltaduk
Veteran

yellowstone in the winter

Postby Deltaduk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 pm

anybody ever been to Yellowstone in the winter, was thinking bout a trip up there over Xmas break. Yeah, I know that will be duck season possibly kicking in good, but that is the only time the kids can go. Plane tickets look to be high as a camel's a^*. Might even drive it? looks to be a solid 2 day drive , weather permitting.

where to stay?
good place to rent and ride snowmobiles?
any help would be appreciated,
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: yellowstone in the winter

Postby donia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 pm

dad and I just left Yellowstone (Tetons tomorrow) and there are many areas that close over winter due to road conditions. the place we stayed (pahaska tepee ranch 2 mi from east entrance) closes up shop october 9 - may 9.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ ... winter.htm

^this may help on picking which side of the park to look for lodging, by closure dates.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 am

A couple of winters ago we were there. Yellowstone closed except for snowmobiles. Didnt go because all of the trips from Jackson Hole were 12+ hours. and that is a long time on a snowmobile. Grand Tetons had 6 hr trips is was beautiful
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Best trip ever as a child was Yellowstone on a snowmobile in the winter. 120 miles and it took all day. It was heaven for a 12 year old kid. I think there are more restrictions now than there were then??
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 pm

I stayed in the Motel 6 in Jackson Hole. Cheap and one of the cleanest places I've ever stayed. Snowmobile tour up to Old Faithful was 80 miles and so much fun. Then you have the Elk Refuge that will blow you away.

We drove it. 27 hours. But the bighorns on the Elk Refuge will lick the salt off of the vehicle. They hang out beside the road on the back side of the refuge. I had lick marks all over my truck.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Deltaduk
Veteran

Postby Deltaduk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 pm

got it booked, gonna fly out to Jackson hole. snowmobile to ole faithful 1 day, do the wildlife snowmobile tour another, check out the elk refuge, and head to the top of a mountain another.. gonna be a great trip. saved a little money by doing the bundle with flight and hotel (snow king lodge)
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:00 am

Snow King is where I stayed in the late 90s. It was an awesome place. Plenty of slopes / lifts right out the back door.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”