Another **** ADS about a UTV thread

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Another **** ADS about a UTV thread

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

My uncle is looking to buy a UTV to cruise his soon-to-be very nice, very expensive gravel roads. There will be some secondary access roads brushed back with no other improvements made, so at xmas time when he's home, there may be some muddy spots there.

99.9% of this UTV's life will be snowflake'ishly pleasant.

BUT

There are hills. Lots and lots of hills, and all varieties of hills: Long, sloping 1/2 mile long hills and short steep hills.

His main #1 desire is to be able to haul 4-6 people down these well made roads for leisurely sight-seeing and chatting and oooo'ing and ahhh'ing.

So it'd be nice if the UTV was as quiet as possible, and friendly towards novice operators.

I would've thought some sort of nice 4WD golf cart would be his ticket, but it seems as though they're major weak point is hauling a load up and down hills for extended periods of time? Is this true? If so, then they must be ruled out. If not, what do you recommend?

WORKING out of several make/manufacturers over the years, hauling people and chemicals and surveying equipment through the woods, I recommended him getting the mule pro...whatever it was. I once had 7 Guatemalan men with 5 gallon sprayers on their back hanging onto it while we went up a hill, without incident. Plus it drove like a Cadillac. But I can't remember how loud/quiet it was. It was plenty fast too. But speed is of no concern. That said, we all like to have options on the table, when running from an electrical storm while on the back 40; so it'd be better if the utv was not an absolute "turtle" on the top end but it's certainly no deal-breaker.

Lots of bodies + lots of hills + lots of time+ lots of chit chat and novice operators on good roads= What say you?
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Re: Another **** ADS about a UTV thread

Postby jtdumallard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:32 pm

You are on the right track with the mule. The new Mule FXT may possibly be the quietest UTV on the market and it will haul 6 adults relatively comfortable. I bought the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 last year and thought it was quiet until i rode on a camp members FXT. Also the Mule is made to work, not win races which also is a fit for what he seems to be looking for.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm

I have a mule pro fxt that seats 6 very comfy. It is the machine you are looking for all the way around. Quiet, adequate power, roomy and rides like a cadillac. I put a 4" lift on mine and if doing it over I'd put a 2".
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am

There seems to be a common thread among the newer mule owners: They all pretty much love them. While I never owned one, as I said before, I worked out of one. Regarding the "ride" of the machine while off road, I couldn't believe the contrast between it vs. the Ranger (always had other problems with them) and the more sporty Yamaha Rhino. I think I'm going to steer him (live vicariously through him) towards the mule and leave it at that.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 am

WHAT ABOUT...a golf cart? Any golf cart owners that care to chime in? He's wanting to go used right now-any brand-, and later buy 2 or 3 new mules. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding used 4 seater gas burning utv's. There are tons of used 4 seater 4wd carts out there. If it's something to get him by for the time being when he comes home in August, would a golf cart with good batteries get him by?

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am

At our camp in the hills near Satartia, you can't go down the bigger hills in the golf cart. It just won't come back up it. So that could be a big issue. I have a 2014 John Deere Gator 825i S4 four seater. It goes anywhere I have ever asked it to. Only had to winch it once, and that was b/c someone else was driving it up a HUGE hill in the rain. I could have done it.

MS Ag in Lake Village has the same model Gator I have. It is a lot cheaper than I bought mine too. Call them and get more info. May be worth it.
http://www.agup.com/equipment/used-equipment/machines-alt/2014-john-deere-xuv-825i-s4
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 pm

I bought my Mule used off of ebay with 15 hours and 45 miles. Had to drive to SC to get it, but I saved enough to make it worthwhile.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:32 am

Well, this thread started me on the path I'm almost near the end of......

I picked up a 2011 Ranger Crew 800 in Hattiesburg about this time last year. Liked it a lot but it struck me as somewhat crude and utilitarian. Loud and no power steering, and needed a football field to turn around. But it did everything I needed and I was happy with it.

Anyways, came along to this thread and it described more of what I was looking for..... an easy handling, quiet machine with a little bit nicer touch to it. Not needing it for mud but got plenty of hills to climb.

After looking at prices on the Mule FXTs, I figured it was a pipe dream. I could afford it, but didn't really want that much money sitting in a UTV. So my plan was to price my Ranger where I'd just have to add a little to it to get the Mule. Probably wouldn't sell and I'd be happy just continuing to use the Ranger. It sold in a little over a week for $3K more than I paid for it. Fellow drove from TN to get it.

So now I've been looking for a Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT with EPS for about 3 weeks. I just missed one south of NOLA that sold a day before the fellow from TN drove away with the Ranger. It was a 2015 model with 50 hours.

Yesterday located a similar model with 40 hours, no windshield but has a full roof and is a Limited Edition Model, which means it comes with a few extra 12V plugs in the back and has LED headlights in addition to the halogens. Great price, only issue is that it's in Texas. Wiring the money next week and getting shipping quotes.

So anyways, just wanted to share how a measley little thread about UTV opinions turned into quite an ordeal for me. Yall be careful about what you post next time. I don't want to end up with a hankering for a custom-built mud hull and fuel injected surface drive equipped with reverse........

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 am

I have bought several UTV/ATV units online and have really good success using USHIP.com. It cost a little more than if i were to drive and get the units but the way i see it my time is worth money. I dont think you will be disappointed with the FXT. Last year when I was shopping, it was between the FXT and the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I ended up with the Honda simply because of "its a honda" mentality. So far have been very pleased with it also but would not hesitate to buy the FXT. My only bad comment about the honda is when you run through water your ass catches on fire from the heat coming up around the front seat. Aftermarket heat shield will fix that though.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm

REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:03 am

Has anyone tried the can am defender. Dealer must make the most on these because they push them hard but I am tired of a Polaris always in the shop.
Get in where you fit in!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Just took delivery of the FXT. WOW. It is night and day different than the Ranger. Suspension, handling, and not just engine noise but smoothness and vibration also, are immensely superior to the Polaris.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”