Legal help Insurance claim

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Legal help Insurance claim

Postby fireplug » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I need some help from an attorney on an insurance claim.

some jackwagon rear ended my wife's brand new car about 4 weeks ago. He has some BS online insurance that is not wanting to pay the devalued amount that the dealership gave me for the car as well as the time that I had to take off work for dealing with their BS. There are no words for how pissed I am right now.

Can someone contact me or point me in the right direction. It's not a huge amount of money, it's the principle. This clown's BS online insurance garbage will make it worth whatever I have to spend to get them to pay.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Legal help Insurance claim

Postby deltadukman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:57 pm

How much time do you have in dealing with their mess and what exactly have you had to do above meeting with an adjuster or taking it to get an estimate?

They don't want to pay the diminished value from being wrecked? That's really nothing new. They don't usually just had out a check for being hit and inconveniencing you and diminission of value is a relatively new thing. Did they give you a reason for denying it?
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:21 pm

make them tell you in writing they will not honor the DV claim. I highly doubt they will do that... If they do, contact the insurance commissioners office
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Good luck. I just went through a situation with a one of those discount insurance companies. It involved a 18 wheeler. Fortunately I knew one of the ladies in the office. She got the truck owner to pay me out of his pocket.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:28 pm

I am no insurance expert but I do have several friends that are and I pick their brains all the time for knowledge in case I have issues. From my understanding they have to make you "whole" again. Which would mean either totaling the car and giving fair value or money for the deminished value.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

The catch is "what is it going to make you whole"?

Insurance adjusters know the game. lets say you get rear ended and the person what hit you has insurance. For the sake of argument, let's say your car was totaled. You claim your car was worth $20,000 before the wreck. They say $15,000 and offer you $15,000 before you lawyer up.

They know they ain't got to pay you a red cent until and after you file suit against their client, you litigate for 6-18mos, and convince a jury that your car was worth $20k, and it was completely the other guys fault.

They also know it's probably gonna cost you 25%-40% in attorneys fees, plus litigation expenses.

Best case scenario, even if you convince a jury you should be paid $20k (the full value of your property damage claim) and you get a judgment, you're gonna pay your lawyer at least $5k right off the bat, leaving you with the $15k they offered to begin with.

They got no exposure over and above the $20k, plus a few grand to their defense attorney. They prolly have trained professional adjusters/auto sales people that will show all kinds of numbers and charts about why the car was only worth $15k

Yes, technically repair costs and diminution of value is an element of the OP's damages, but at the end of the day, the cost to prove it and get a judgment will prolly be offset by the litigation costs to prove your entitled to them, if not be more than the difference being argued Over.
Last edited by gps4 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 am

They can't deny the DV claim... They know they owe it.. That's why I say make them put in writing that they will not honor it. Then take that to the insurance commissioners office..
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 am

REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm

not looking for a argument but they are only going to pay what your car damage is worth in their eyes. if they want to put Chinese aftermarket parts get ready for that. if they want to send you to some cut rate body shop and call it a "preferred shop" they will. they will not pay for your time. only option and I see its who your directing your question to is to hire a lawyer.
Get in where you fit in!
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:25 pm

SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I feel for you Fireplug and anyone else that has been a victim of insurance companies. I know what it feels like.

I had one insurance company want to put an odd wheel on my truck. The wheel their client damaged as a result of the accident he caused was no longer in production. So instead of buying a matching set, they were just going to put an odd wheel on. I asked the insurance guy, "would you want a non matching wheel on your truck?" He replied, "No." I then said, "All I want is to be treated the same way you would want to be treated." He said he understood and was going to get me a complete set, which he did.
Scott Baker
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:59 pm

I have devalued amount quoted from the Toyota dealer I purchased the car from. We had only had the car 3 weeks when the guy rear-ended my wife in it. It wasn't a terrible amount of damage but repairs cost $2k. I had the dealership do the repairs and not the body shop they wanted the estimate from.

If I took them to court with all the paperwork showing the value before and after the accident along with the repair costs for OEM parts and not aftermarket parts, could I sue them for enough to cover the legal fees?

I'm not a legal expert or even claim to know, but I know what's right and wrong, and the insurance guys are in the wrong. They haven't denied the devalued claim, they just said that their adjusters would set the amount and they won't use the amount that my dealer gave me. I plan on keeping the car a long time, as long as it holds up, so I'm not too concerned with it. It's more about principle to me. If I was a millionaire I'd already have the letter from a lawyer on their desk.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:41 pm

My brother got rear ended by a drunk and his insurance started acting like horses rears. He got an attorney and got everything out of them; damage, lost value, medical, vacation time he lost dealing with it, and some for them just being horses rears. He has the money so waiting them out wasn't an issue for him. When they saw how that he was going to dig in and knew he could wait them out they came off their wallet. It's unfortunate that it has to work that way. The thing is he would have been happy if they would have just fixed the car and then covered the medical and physical therapy but they decided to jerk him around.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:09 pm

latest update. They agreed to pay what the dealership quoted me for devalued amount instead of going with their number, which was about $400 less. I am out my time having to deal with it, but I just didn't want the frustration of having to go to court for another $400. So we have agreed to meet in the middle I guess. I ate my time lost and they paid what I asked for in devalued amount. Dam an internet insurance company. They would have to pay me to have them.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”