Garage storage

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Garage storage

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 pm

So moving to a new house shortly and want to build some shelving or cabinets in the garage for storage. Would be your typical stuff tools, lawn care stuff, some hunting gear, golf clubs and etc. Anybody have pics of your setups that work good or neqt ideas that someone may not think of?
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Re: Garage storage

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:30 am

I have your basic 1 x 12 on L brackets in mine. I also went and got one of those Harbor Freight work benches and set it up in there for my projects and tinkering. My garage is still a work in progress, so it will be a while until I am ready to show it off.
Nobody owes you anything.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 am

This past weekend I installed 40' of the Rubbermaid Fast track system. When i built our house last year I failed to put any storage cabinets and shelf's in the garage which means everything was piled into the third garage. The Fast-track is a game changer. I was able to get four climbing stands, two weedeaters, backpack blower, backpack sprayer, three dozen dekes, probably 20 rakes and shovels, and a trolling motor. Needless to say, this this is build like a tank and is easy to install.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:23 am

The Fasttrack is good stuff. The only downside is it is quite expensive if you use the shelving attachments. For hanging things, it's fantastic. I have a good bit of it myself and like it.

My recommendation is to stay away from the plastic standup shelving units. The metal ones are better, but i much prefer wall mounted shelves to keep things off the floor. Leaves, dirt will find its way in and being able to easily seep out without emptying all your stuff from the garage is nice.

I also followed a YouTube video for building a shelving unit from 2x4 s and OSB in my shop that is very strong.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am

There weren't any storage shelves in my garage when we bought our house either but our garage has a roughly 3'x12' "inlet" for those type things. My dad and I built some wood shelves with a small work bench which is perfect for what I need. Work bench is centered and surrounded by shelves on both sides and above and a peg board in the center above the bench. The rest of my garage is somewhat of an organized mess though with golf cart, loc ons, decoys, etc :lol: . Can only imagine what it'll look like once my daughter gets old enough for power wheels, bikes and things of that nature. I'll try and snap a pic tonight.
SHERMANATOR
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeah I figured I would build my own shelving but the fast track is a great idea for the hanging stuff. Also I did not even think about a work bench so that will be added in as well.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:48 pm

We bought a house a couple years ago and I need to update the garage. My old house I had put a fast track in. I plan to install one of those for sure. I'd like to build some cabinets also.
Peewee
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 pm

How high can it be off the floor?

My mom loaded me up with Rubbermaid action packers in college that have somehow managed to stick around. I needed some storage in my garage so I borrowed an idea from a diy show-

24" deep 12' long shelf screwed to wall studs along the back and right side and hung from rafters with chain on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 am

Pic of the ones we built in my garage that I talked about above.
SHERMANATOR
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Scored some old gym lockers for some garage storage solutions

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:25 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:38 pm

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Oh GOD. I had better get my garage up and running pretty darn quick if I'm gonna keep up with you guys. :oops:
Nobody owes you anything.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Always remember: If you never have enough room, you'll never have enough room...

OR

If you never have enough room, GO VERTICAL...

Pinterest has tons of stuff on this. Don't forget the lowly pegboard sheets either.

I turned 2 scrapped fender wells that came off of an old (very large) forklift into a 20 foot long workbench under my boat shed.

S**** piles up on it beautifully (and bigly).
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:38 am

Not storage related but I did a folding work bench that I love. Similar to this https://goo.gl/images/r2GVZP
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net

Return to “General Discussion Forum”