Caribbean vacations

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Caribbean vacations

Postby fireplug » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 am

I'm looking to take the wife on a Caribbean trip for her birthday in January. I want to do a flight, resort stay package deal kind of thing. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm trying to get it planned out now so that I will be ready. It's her 40th birthday. She planned pretty cool surprise bday party for my 40th so I know she'll be expecting that so a surprise party is out. But a surprise vacation in the winter is just what the doctor ordered.
How do you like your Hope and Change?
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Re: Caribbean vacations

Postby msudawg8087 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am

Not sure what your budget is but we went to Sandals Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica a few years back for our honeymoon. Absolutely beautiful place. Smaller secluded Sandals resort with a private beach unlike some of the larger ones down the road where there are 2 or 3 rows of chairs in front of the water.
SHERMANATOR
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 am

meddawg
Regular

Postby meddawg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am

If you are looking for one stop shopping, I would suggest a travel agent. They may charge a fee to book airline tickets but they are paid a commission from the resort and cost you very little. A good one can usually get you better amenities and prices than you find online.

I have been to Atlantis and would definitely go back. I went to Excellence in Punta Cana, DR for my honeymoon and would definitely not go back there. Decent free drinks but food was terrible.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 pm

SHERMANATOR
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm

We went to Runaway Bay Jamaica for a week this past January and stayed at the Luxury Bahia Principe. No kids allowed on that side of the resort. Only downside was that it was an hour or so drive from the airport, but we hired a private van to shuttle us and it was worth every penny. Very, very nice resort. Clean, good beaches, pools, restaurants, etc. My wife also booked it pretty cheap as far as all inclusive Caribbean trips go, less than $4k if I remember right.

View from room.
Bahia Principe.JPG
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

we went to couples resort negril, jamaica a couple of years ago. very nice people. stay away from bob the baker (think of woodstock and the brown acid...it's bad s#*t, man!). if you gotta partake, talk to the resort employees, like bartenders at the outside bar. we went with 8 other couples and a couple of the crew just had to have a brownie...one was seeing the jetsons (....his boy elroy, jane his wife...etc), the other didn't, but wouldn't come out of the room for a while. found out bob the baker uses a lot of "other" stuff in his brownies for filler.

we were rowdy and may as well have been rednecks at the river house... had a blast, but it took a day or so to get "jamaica time" figured out..nobody is in a hurry, ever!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:04 pm

We stayed in a Riu Palace in Cabo San Lucas on our honeymoon, and it was really nice. There are several of them in the Carribean and Mexico if you are thinking about Cozumel/Cancun. I booked everything through United's vacation section, and i think it was under $3500 for a 7 day/6 night stay. Including airfare and several excursions. It was pretty painless too, so if you don't want to do the travel agent thing, maybe check it out.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Keep them coming. I'm going to start looking for a travel agent in my area and try to surprise my wife a week or so before her birthday. She'll probably have to go get a spray tan or our pasty white skin will roast when we get there. :lol:

I'm going to look into everyone you guys list and pick what looks the best.
miket
Veteran

Postby miket » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 pm

We have always used Expedia and Orbitz to book our trips. We have gone on trips 7 of the last 13yrs using them and have always been happy. I don't think you will be able to suprise her if she doesn't already have her passport.
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 am

My wife likes to go on these trips and I have learned spend a little extra get a nice resort with better food. We have been a few places and Cabo has been my favorite. Slide in a fishing trip for her birthday. As mentioned must have passport in advance.
Get in where you fit in!
reservoirdawg
Regular

Postby reservoirdawg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 am

Went to Sandals Ochi in Ocho Rios, Jamaica for our honeymoon. It's about an hour and a half drive from the airport, but the transportation was included. One of the main reasons we chose it was because they have 16 restaurants. The other resorts I looked at didn't have but 5-6. The staff will greet you before you have a chance to think about saying anything to them. Great service, good food/drinks, and about 30ft from the beach. Also, make sure you do the snorkeling like someone said. Don't get a butler.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 am

With the political climate the way it is, how many of yall feel comfortable in some of these places, Mexico especially? I'm starting to look for a big trip but I want to be able to fish or do something other than sit in the f'ing sand for a week and cook. I have heard some of the all inclusives have shotty drinks or food. Anyone have any experience on which ones have the better drink selections?
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Oddly enough look up Costco Travel, I made fun of brother in law for using the for Puerto Vallarta trip but they loved it. Included everything for under a grand a person, flights, food, drinks etc. I joked about his Sams Club knock off vacation but will give it a shot after looking up the website. Especially seeing some of the Costa Rica packages that are silly reasonable.

Fishing is better on the PV side of Mexico too...
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Go to Alaska Vickers. The sun and sand is rough on us full figured guys........who wants to vacation where it's hot?????

Return to “General Discussion Forum”