Vicksburg military park??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Vicksburg military park??

Postby lilwhitelie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:49 pm

How long before they do as they are doing across the country and remove all confederate monuments etc there?? Just drove through there this weekend and the thought crossed my mind. Would it be ok to just preserve the union line and monuments??
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Vicksburg military park??

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Black folks I saw walking in the park this morning didn't seem to mind being surrounded by monuments....
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:23 am

I don't see that happening either. There would be an uprising like the liberals have never seen before. The civil war military parks have a huge following from diverse groups around the country. If you spend enough time in the park you can tell what I am talking about. Also, the VMP is the main source to draw tourist to Vicksburg. These tourist support a bulk small businesses in the city, many of which are minority owned. Therefor the protesters would really be shooting there own family members etc. in the foot.

What we saw in NO is a political play nothing more/nothing less. Landrieu will use this issue to help keep one of his political backers in power in the upcoming election. With the reduction of post Katrina federal funds the growth of the city is going to be bleak, therefor they (Landrieu cronies) know they need backing from the opposite race.
Peewee
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm

HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 am

I don't think it will happen in Vicksburg. Partly because of what has been stated here already - the importance of tourism to the economy, and the influx of all the people who come and do business with locals BECAUSE of the park. But mainly because the City of Vicksburg seems to be stuck in the '60's - - - the 1860's. Go figure.
Nobody owes you anything.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 am

Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am

It will happen soon. Period. Liberals are taking over the world cause people like won't stand up and stay enough is enough
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:31 pm

The majority of the big monuments in the Vicksburg NMP are Yankee monuments paid for by Yankee States. If I recall correctly, they don't sell the "Confederate" flag (actually the Battle Flag of N. Virginia) in the gift store anymore.

There are few, if any, Confederate soldiers buried in Vicksburg National Cemetery. The majority of the Confederate graves are in Cedar Hill Cemetery.

Vicksburg and New Orleans are two different situations. The Mayor of NOLA is an idiot that doesn't know the history of the War or the efforts to heal the nation after the War. He did it to make himself look good, and like Obama - just caused more racial tension. I could see one of those 4 statues coming down, but it was for one after the war - The Battle of Liberty statue. The other 3 should still be standing.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Anyone care to change their opinion on the park?? Looks imminent that all confederate statues etc are coming down sooner than later. Can't wait till Brandon makes the national news for keeping the confederate statue in the middle of town and having a civil war relics show each year. Kudos to Phil Bryant for letting democracy play out and not caving.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 am

I stand by my saying. VMP will not change. I'd be shocked if it did.
Peewee
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 am

Since it is a historical installation designed to educate the public, none of the monuments at Vicksburg will come down. It and other parks (like Gettysburg) will receive the same protection.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

The military Park will be fine, at least for four years, because the City has no say whatsoever, the Military Park is owned by the Federal Gov. and the head honcho (Trump) will not let it happen on his watch. Now when we get a Democrat back int eh White House (I hope never again) things may be different. but right now, the park is safe if for no other reason than it's federally owned. I also agree with Pewee, the City would be behind preserving it because the money it brings in. and it brings in a lot. My Mom and Grandmother are tour guides at the Park, do the Ghost tours around the city, and give tours to the tourists that come in on the River boats. It is nothing to go downtown and sit at one of the restaurants and spark up a conversation with people from all over the World, not just USA.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 am

HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am

It's pretty simple. VMP is federal property designed to educate the public about the darkest time in American history. Confederate statues and monuments there are safe. The city, county, and state can't do anything about that.

Monuments outside the park, however, may be open to public review. They may or may not last the decade before they are taken down and placed in museums.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”