Paint stripper for wood door

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Paint stripper for wood door

Postby peewee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 am

I'm in the process of stripping paint off my front door. I would like to stain it. I bought a stripper called citristrip and it's done well on the top coat of paint but doesn't appear to be cutting the original coat of paint very well. Anyone have any recommendations?
Peewee
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: Paint stripper for wood door

Postby missed mallards » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am

Electric sander and a careful eye.

It's an option at least
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 am

I've used the spray on foaming stuff on 100 year old finishes with good results. It might take multiple coats and definitely will take some scubbing with a soft bristle brush, but it'll take it off.

I tried that citrus stiff once because it's supposedly less harsh to my liver than the bad stuff but it sucked in comparison. BTW, wear safety goggles and buy some good quality chemical resistant gloves. You don't want the stuff in your eye or on your skin because ya might find your kidney next to ya colon cobras the next time you make love to the commode.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:01 am

Klein Premium Stripper from Home Depot (get the premium) and a metal scraper (not the plastic one. Paint a thick coat of the stripper on and let it sit for a while. (Do not let it sit long enough to dry) Get some of the small wire brushes (copper not stainless) to get in nooks and crevasses. Might take a couple of tries but it will come off. Then use the electric sander.

I have heard of putting the stripper on then getting a pressure washer after it, and that is what "they" say is the easiest and best way. Let me know if you try the power washer.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”