Missing spare tire repair

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Missing spare tire repair

Postby Wildfowler » Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 am

The other day I noticed my tire spare tire and rim we're gone, the only thing was left was a broken piece of cable under the bottom of my pick up.

I did this as a means of fixing it. 3/16 inch thick 3 inch wide flat bar cut 7 1/4 inches long. Secured with three cable clamps, but I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea on how to secure the cable.

Seems to me these might be prone to slippage while bouncing around under the bottom of my truck? I did put Loctite on the threads are but I'm not sure that's going to be sufficient.

Anyone have any thoughts on a better cable fastener?

IMG_4387.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4386.JPG
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Missing spare tire repair

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 pm

I suspect your spare was stolen as thats pretty common. However it could have broken, but can't imagine you wouodn't have noticed. You can get another cable assembly from just about any gm salvage yard for a fairly reasonable price.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sun May 28, 2017 6:36 am

I'm guessing it was stolen too. I would think if you put loc tight on those clamps they will be just fine.
Peewee
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am

The same thing happened to me almost at the same time as Wildfowler's episode. Mine wasn't stolen - I was lucky enough to have a friend that found the spare. The cable had snapped. Weird.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:47 am

Andy I read you post, and wonder whose front door your spare went through as it bounced through the neighborhood. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue May 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Mine wasn't stolen and there wasn't any impact. A friend found the spare in the road about 150 yards from my hunting camp. I was lucky, because it could have been anywhere and I would have never known what happened, otherwise.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 pm

I went back and looked for mine where I remembered hitting a log and another rough patch in the trail thinking I might find it nearby.

No luck and no telling how long mine had gone. Hopefully it will show up this winter when the grass dies back.

If it fell off while driving down the highway I can't believe it would just drop freely off without bouncing around some first. I'm reasonably observant while driving. :lol:

How would you even cut that factory apparatus off of there to steal the tire? I guess a battery Sawsall and a little time? Maybe?

Nothing else that I know of has been stolen. Although I don't even know what all I have back there anymore?

This little incident cost me a grand. $900 for a new set of tires and $75 for a base model steel rim. I put the best tire from my old set that had 70,000 miles on the new used rim for a spare now. Hopefully that old worn out tire will be enough of a theft deterrent?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 30, 2017 3:32 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 pm

All right, just looked this part up online. It looks like the factory just use one little ferrule crimped on to the end of he cable.

I'm sure if the tire was not winched up all the way that thing would eventually pop off. I guess that spring should have helped to dampen the vibration from normal operation. But I'm not sure it would handle a loose tire?

IMG_4523.PNG

I'm thinking the way I've got mine installed now, the tire itself should dampen Road vibration so long as the tire remains winched firmly up against the frame like it currently is. I'll check it in a couple weeks to make sure it's still there and that my U bolts are still nice and tight.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”