Life jacket question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Life jacket question

Postby deltadukman » Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Question. On a boat 16+ foot or larger, do you have to have your life jackets out in the open at all times or can they be in a hatch, consodering a throwable is out in the open and within reach? Having a debate with a few folks with differing opinions. This is not a COE body of water. Just plain public waters.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Life jacket question

Postby Smoke68 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am

The short answer is that it depends on who checks you and what their interpretation is.

Speaking on my experience of bring checked, I was in a 1754 War Eagle that lacked severely on storage. For this reason, I stored the life vests packed tightly in the rear bilge. At the ramp, GW asked to see the appropriate number of life jackets. It took me 2-3 minutes to try and get them out of that tight space.

GW was not impressed, and I'll state the obvious: those life jackets were doing me zero good in that setup. He said that to be legal the jackets had to be readily accessible, not necessarily out in the open but can be used quickly. . Mine did not fit that description but he didn't write me up. He was MDWFP.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon May 22, 2017 8:45 am

The law says "readily accessible". Most of the time I see them jammed under all kinds of junk in a seat storage that someone is sitting on. I sometimes see them still in a package all wrapped up just as they came off of the shelf. Like Smoke said, it usually takes a while for folks to find them all or get them out. I always ask folks how long would they have before they drowned? If you gotta search all around in every compartment to find your life jackets for a random check, you're screwed in an emergency.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:06 am

I went through this last year during a check and the officer was lenient. What we do now is hang them from the center console bar and the bimini top frame so they are not only accessible but visible to the eye. I know that's harder on a small boat but not a bad habit to get into.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

After I take mine off to start fishing, I buckle it onto the back seat. That's a little off topic, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm righteous like that.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 am

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

As a general rule, I keep mine on at all times, and I am a good swimmer. It doesn't take too many near drowning experiences to drive that habit home. (Besides, it was drilled into me by parents and grandparents, from the time I was big enough to go, that the life jacket goes on every single time you go out on a boat.)
Nobody owes you anything.
Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah I'm on the "wear it" band wagon, especially while duck hunting. I had them in my dry box right in front of me when winds kicked up and I started taking water over the transom last December. I didn't have time to reach in and grab them because if I had come off of the throttle, we were going under. We didn't go under but it was close enough for me to start wearing one, every time.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I always wear mine, I feel pretty safe and don't take many chances.

That's me, but what the main concern is all the other crazy mofo's that are running late or popping a top at wide open throttle, not concerned about what's around the bend. :x

That's reason enough to wear two.

Then again, sometimes stuff happens. I was going upstream at daylight on a pretty narrow stretch of river when a boat appeared at a bend. He was headed right for me but turning, I slowed down and figured he'd turn a little tighter and just go on by, surely he's not going to just plow straight into me. Then I realized he had a mud motor, coming downstream and he was turning all that he could, so I had to make an emergency maneuver NOW to get outta this guys way or I'd been run over.

He couldn't do any more than what he was already doing. There clearly wouldn't have been time to acquire a life jacket, and we were both at low speed, neither of us at full speed.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu May 25, 2017 7:13 am

My seat in my boat is a toolbox, like a truck toolbox. I keep my life jackets in it. I have way more than I need in there and would be pretty easy to get one or two out quickly. Not to mention someone is usually sitting on the throwable. I typically don't wear a life jacket when running, especially in the summer when we are on the MS River fishing, running lines, nets, tightlining etc.. If it's dark, I always wear mine, but in the daytime i just don't wear it, save for a few times the weather got bad or the river was extra rough and we decided to put them on.. I know some things can happen quickly and all that, i've had some close ones on the river and had buddies thrown out of boats etc.. Side question, if you were wearing your neoprene chest waders and went into the water would you fill up and sink or float? I know the answer via a buddy that got thrown out of the boat last duck season in the middle of the Yazoo River at 0500 with no life jacket, just waders......
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu May 25, 2017 8:07 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Went home with my college roommate to duck and deer hunt over Christmas. He feel in a beaver run up to his neck in single digit weather with a 15 mph North wind. I'm convinced he would be dead had he gone over his head. You could literally hear the wind get sucked out of him when he hit that water.

The auto inflate life jacket are such that I hardly know I'm wearing one. It's just easier to put it on and go. I'll admit when I was younger I would not wear one in the Summer but started after having a family and watching folks do stupid stuff that I used to do.

It's Memorial Day weekend and it's a great time to go to the lake. I go to watch the idiots who get their big ski boat out and try to launch at the ramp more than anything. They only get it out Memorial and Labor Day weekend and have no clue what they are doing. :lol: :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it

Return to “General Discussion Forum”