Establishing Credit

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Establishing Credit

Postby eSJay » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm

My daughter recently graduated & thankfully has already secured a job.
However; she wants to live with us for a year to save money. During this year, what are the sensible ways for her to establish initial credit in order to be able to rent an apartment, finance a car, etc... when the time comes?
Thanks in advance__sj
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Establishing Credit

Postby Smoke68 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Much as I hate to say it, a credit card is the best way I think. Of course, the balance should be paid in full every month.

One thing she can do in order to prevent the card balance from being out-of-sight-out-of-mind until the end of the month would be to synchronize it with a quicken account. Daily downloads would keep one updated on the balance and all expenditures can be categorized as they occur and put into a spreadsheet.

When the bill comes at the end of the month, paying it is more of a formality since the balance has been in mind all along and the money to pay it is there.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Don't mess around with getting credit through loans/leases on vehicles. While it will accomplish the credit part, that's a fool's game.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed May 17, 2017 5:17 pm

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu May 18, 2017 8:42 am

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 am

reservoirdawg
Regular

Postby reservoirdawg » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 am

Cash back credit card. Keep the amount spent monthly to less than 20% of the limit. If, and only if, she's a GREAT money manager then get the highest limits. Lenders see she has access to say $10,000, but only uses an average of $1,000/month. Every time the card company offers to increase my limit I gladly accept. Anything and everything goes on the card. Then use the cash back to pay towards the bill. Pay the current statement off every month.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I deal with this every day. Two things she needs to do. One, open a credit card. Use it sparingly, never charging more than 50% of the limit which is probably going to be $300 initially. Let it cycle each month and pay the balance off. After 6 months ask for an increase in limit and continue to use it sparingly. You want to increase the limit but always maintain a small balance so the ratio of balance vs limit increases showing she has the self restraint to manage something with no collateral.
Second thing, call Rob Richard at State Bank. They will do a signature loan for I think $1500 for anyone who attends a half day credit seminar. Don't pay it off early! Pay it as required over the term, normally 12 months.

These tow things will have her in the low 700s in 6-12 months which is ridiculous if you ask me but so is the world we live in.

Any other questions, call me.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu May 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:58 am

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”