Truck talk

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Re: Truck talk

Postby peewee » Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am

Peewee
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

marionfd708
Veteran

Postby marionfd708 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 am

I have a 2013 f150 and the only fuss I have with it is that it is SO lite!! I can hit a washboard in the road and wiggle and bounce all over the road. If the winds are blowing hard I get pushed around like crazy.

I have the 5.0 in mine and love the power and the fuel mileage is ok too. I have 35's and get around 13-14 in town and will hit 17-18 on the highway with cruise set. I do not baby it at all!! If I am in it, I am pushing it hard.

For these 2 reasons my next truck will be a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins. I will get better fuel mileage and will not be bounced/pushed around like with the Ford.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Based on what I've heard about the newer Cummins, you might be disappointed.

To contribute, though, I think you're looking at the 2 I'd consider peewee. I had some interest in the Ram but not after having one for a rental this week. The Ford is probably a little more refined and can get better mpg. The Toyota, I'm confident, will have fewer problems after 100k. But it should, because they've not changed that truck for 11 years -- and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. My dad is in the market, and I've tried to get him to consider the Toyota.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm

It seems like the most common problem with the tundra is the cooling system. Know several people who have had problems with radiators , heater cores, and water pumps. A few with rear axle bearing replacements. They complain that Toyota parts are high! That and the cost of the extra fuel over 200k miles a Toyota would use I believe it would cost less to own something different.

However like someone else mentioned they haven't changed much so you can research what problems they do have and expect/budget for them.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 pm

If you got the money there is no comparison. Go see the room in a crew tundra vs ford. Then drive them both and the search resale values of later models. I have owned tacoma, first year full size tundra, and now have 07 crew tundra which is the year they changed the body and has remained pretty much unchanged. Gas mileage sux especially after leveling kit and tire upgrade but reliable. The one thing I hate about ALL new trucks etc including the tundras are all the new electrical crap and sensors they have. If you drive it off the highway those sensors will give you fits. And they now make it to where only the dealerships can work on them due to all the computer programs etc. My tire sensor light stays on. GUy said you wanna spend 500 to 1000 to maybe fix sensor light if we replace sensors??? And if we do that then find out it is a computer issue etc it will be more?? Or you just wanna put a picture of your kid to cover it if it bothers you??? I chose the picture.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 am

over the span of 150k miles, you're looking at less than 2k for the difference in gas of the tundra vs the others...
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 am

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Fri May 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Truck talk, philosophically speaking, well they don't make trucks any more.

No more 1/2 ton carpet delete, extended cab, long box, heavy duty vinyl seats, roll up crank windows, manual door locks. zero electronic froo-froo gadgets. No more V8's mated to a manual transmission, order your rear gear based on needs and compromises, twin tanks (or one 36 gallon), some have a full set of gauges, many do not. Sad sad.

The cynic in me thinks they put so much froo-froo crap on trucks now, so that when they inevitably go haywire, they drive you crazy and you eventually buy another one......... foolishly hoping all of that has now been "fixed" and "it" won't happen again.

The transmissions (sadly ALL automatics in 1/2 ton for the past several years) are not made for durability, just made to get gas mileage to meet CAFE standards. As long it lasts the warranty period, after then........ whatever.

Yes, just call me old man Grampa, no blutetooth nor GPS required.

I'm waiting on the "old school" model that somebody will surely bring out one day, and then I'll jump back in the monthly note, depreciating hell hole. Until then, it will still be my '97 Dodge V8, manual everything, 4x4, etc. etc. Now that is a good truck. You need to go find you one of those. :mrgreen:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 pm

+2. Thanks Democraps!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat May 13, 2017 5:58 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat May 13, 2017 6:54 am

But maybe there's hope waiting around the corner. They're not selling as many new vehicles.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... re-slowing
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 am

Yes the cost is insane. I looked at a truck on the dealers lot a few months back (a use Corvette was for sale, but it was an automatic) the truck was way north of $60,000 and didn't even have wheel well fender liners. Huh? I looked around and non of them did, must be an option now? :?

Try to buy a four door tundra with an 8 foot box, apparently they make a few, but very rare. I looked into that, may have to compromise, sorting through the used ones on-line for a box size is unbearable. We've all seen the guy at Lowes with a tool box inside a five to six foot box, trying to load up, pitiful. WTF?

You can get a four door, 8 foot box in a Dodge 3/4 ton, diesel with a manual, vinyl seats and rubber floor, "work package" new still in the wrapper for $49,000. (Can't get a gas burner with a stick) Hmmmmm

You can get a work truck Tundra configured pretty good as long as you want it in white. $34,000

Didn't mean to have a rambling hijack, carry on.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Yes new truck prices are ridiculous and used prices have shot up because of that and lower gas prices. I don't need any of the new fancy stuff either but I will say I do love the Bluetooth in a vehicle. Especially since I spend a lot of time driving.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am

I partially blame the lending institutions for vehicle prices. They have allowed the car manufactures to charge such ridiculous prices due to the "monthly note" valuation. How much can I afford based off how much the monthly note it. And these lending institutions will let people finance a vehicle 5-6 even 8 years now. That's stupid. Hell bass pro will finance a boat for 144 months and sells based on monthly note. That's 12 years on a boat! Call me stubborn, but I refuse to pay $700+ a month for a vehicle.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”