Has Social Media killed DS?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Has Social Media killed DS?

Postby matador1 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 am

First thing every morning when I sit down at my desk I pull up DS and hit New Post. I might visit once or twice more during the day. Over the past year the number of new post or post that have replies has dwindled more and more. For example today only one post showed as having anything new on it. Even during Duck Season there might be 15 -20 whereas back a couple of years ago that would be two pages.
Is it social media and the easy access to communicate? Maybe older members are maturing and don't visit the site as much due to other obligations? New member recruitment down? Curious as to the reason
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Has Social Media killed DS?

Postby deltadukman » Tue May 02, 2017 9:16 am

More than likely we've ran out of stuff to talk about. I wish it was back the way it was, but its not. We've gotten older and have more stuff to do.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 am

I read it everyday. Don't have any social media anymore. My life was too cluttered. I just don't post much anymore cause I Don't hunt like I used too
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am

I'm not on FB. I also check the site quickly several times a day, notice the lack of activity and miss it. I doubt it's due to a lack of stuff to talk about.
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 am

2017-18 Duck season dates were released today (https://www.mdwfp.com/media/press-relea ... ign=buffer). And yes, that came from Facebook. There has not been the usual 'when is the season going to be set' post, much less a post announcing it.
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 pm

All board based sites are slowing down. It isn't just DS.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

As the access by smartphones and tablets increases the content decreases.

Smartphones and tablets are essentially for the consumption of media, while laptops/desktops are for the creation of media.

That's a big part of it too, in my opinion.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Tue May 02, 2017 8:52 pm

I have never posted a whole lot but if I get a minute or two I will glance at the site on average every few days. I have never been on face book etc. and don't plan to but I do miss the traffic that was on here.

It seems that a lot of people have moved to other social instead of boards though.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 pm

I'd like to thank Rocky for trying to breathe air back into the site. Not sure all the factors but I too miss the old days.

Take this post. Here it is may and this is prolly my 6-7 post this year. I use to make that many in an hour back in the day
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Wed May 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm sure the rest of social media has taken its toll on the site. I try to check in daily and post something that a few people might want to read on occassion. I'll never have all the other social media outlets, this will be as modern as I get. I also know that recent events and losing members of the msducks family has surely slowed traffic down. I'm still praying for friends and family of those no longer with us. Hopefully the place stays alive and provides me with a laugh or two each day as it did in the days of old.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed May 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I think fb has a little to do with it but I think our core group has taken on more life responsibilities and there just isn't the time for posting a lot. I know my work schedule has increased as well as family time as the kids have gotten older. I miss the days when we used to have get togethers at Old Venice etc.
Peewee
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:59 pm

ten years ago, i bought a house with a big ol shop in the back yard and had grand visions of a tricked man cave....so i stumbled upon perfectmancave.com and have been visiting this site and PMC several times a day, every day since then.

in the last year or so, i have noticed a significant decline in both participating members and posting activity. I dont know why it is, but i really miss logging on to learn something new and pertinent to what ive got going on in real life.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Wed May 03, 2017 7:31 pm

bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Wildfowler
My signature is from a late 80's western movie
Young Guns.. early on in the movie billy the kid is taken in by Mr Tunstil and his "regulators"

Sitting at supper that night the head regulator (Charlie sheen) is questioning billy and asked him if he ever "worked" beef.

In layman's term ., you ever worked cows...

And there u have it
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”