Four wheeler came off trailer at 65 mph.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Four wheeler came off trailer at 65 mph.....

Postby Smoke68 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 am

Gotta tell somebody about this. My four wheeler is held on a 4x6 trailer by a winchstrap tired to a hook. Strap came untied when I was driving down 389 in the dark towards the camp this morning. Felt the bump in the truck when four wheeler rolled off trailer. Turned rear light on, saw four wheeler gone. Crap.

Had visions of it flipping down the highway. Knew I was going to have to clean it up while trying to dodge traffic. Road embankment was a 15' drop on both sides. It's right by Trim Cane WMA before the road curves around to the check station.

Went back to look and couldn't find it. No debris, no four wheeler. Shined light it into waldrops field and and see a reflector way off. That four wheeler rolled off trailer at 65mph and flew off the road down the embankment, landed on its wheels and coasted to a soft stop. Couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Rolled a good 100-150 yards. I guarantee you that's as fast as those wheels have EVER spun. Drove it in the field, loaded back up, and tied it down with 3 straps, triple checked.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Four wheeler came off trailer at 65 mph.....

Postby Smoke68 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:05 am

On a funnier note, I told my 6yo boy that we had to turn around and look for the four wheeler.

He said, "Can't we look for it later?"

Remind you of anyone? No kidding, I thought of OSP instantly.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:08 am

i know somebody that happened to on the interstate, pre-dawn...out of the back of the truck! weren't as lucky as you, but we're able to drive it back into truck.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Always secure a load with more than one strap. It's a good thing nobody was behind you.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:13 pm

99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 pm

At least it wasn't a boat! :D
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm super paranoid about that happening to me. I use two straps and chain/lock the front bumper to the trailer. 8)
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:33 pm

lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 am

Just imagine if it had hit a sue happy person head on?? Just look at the possible outcomes if it had hit an entire family with no insurance. You would have been in a serious bind. I cringe every time I see a Atv tied down with cheap ratchet put straps. I almost had what happened to you take place and I went to the Louisiana guard dog after that. Little more trouble and time but a LOT safer.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 am

I'll see your trailer and 65 and raise you a truck bed, interstate and 85. Hell I'll even throw in a Louisiana guard dog. The whole debacle took less than 5" to loose it and ride it back into the truck bed. Only thing that was wrong with my bike was a bent handlebar.

When that little voice in your head says "something's wrong " I for damn sure stop and check the situation out now.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am

there he is!!! i remember hearing the call shortly after we arrived at the bullpen.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am

Here is a tip: I don't know if it is true for all ATVs, but my Honda and Yamaha four wheelers will not roll backwards if I leave them in reverse while on the trailer.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 am

That's why I use a setup like this front and back. Quick & easy to hook up and the most jagged of roads won't phase the atv.

Could be worse. Could have been a person texting while pulling out in front of traffic and getting t-boned right in front of you...thereby causing you to overbrake and send your boat trailer into uncontrollable mode...thereby breaking the tongue in half and beaching the whale on the right of way with a box full of crappie still inside...
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 am

GHGR, I plan to weld an attachment like you've got where the light connector is fastened. Going to put a chain with carabiner to use as a backup. If winch fails again somehow, atv would roll not more than 2-3" before chain pulls tight.

greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:25 am

What's shocking is that the bracket on atv is still there because it was the first thing I'd ever welded (other than flat plate that I practiced on horizontally at comfortable working height, aka ideal scenario) with a flux core wire welder, a harbor freight one at that.

I'm way better now, with the same flux core welder and it's saved me tons of money, but when I use my brother in laws miller matic it's like driving a corvette after clunking around in a horse drawn carriage for 150 years.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”