Pine tree troubles

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Pine tree troubles

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am

Is there anything that can be done to save trees that seem to be dying off each year from pine Beatles? We're cutting down a few mature trees from a wooded lot each year.

Surely there is something that can be sprayed on the remaining pines that may be infected but have not died?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Pine tree troubles

Postby teul2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am

I am no expert, but i stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
When that happened on a bosses place many moons ago, the solution was to cut the effected trees, and several around it in case the beetles had gotten to them already and are not showing. These were 15-18 y/o trees though.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

same qualifications as above, but rented a house on a pine plantation one year. that was about the middle of the first good wave of infestations and the owner was griping about having to spray another expensive (very) treatment on his stand, again. that's been over 15 yrs, so i don't remember what it was, but very possible to not be available now... I bet someone replaced it with another very expensive application, though! looks to be onyx, now days.

https://extension.msstate.edu/sites/def ... /p2748.pdf

Several control techniques are available for SPB infestations. Market conditions, size and number of trees involved, and money available will help you decide what to do.
Three basic categories of control are:
1. Salvage removal
2. Cut and leave
3. Pile and burn

Each of these tactics gives better results when applied as soon after detection of an infestation as
possible. By treating early, fewer SPBs are allowed to develop and spread to other trees. Delaying treatment
might allow an increase in the number of active trees to a level that would make control difficult.
In most cases, both active trees and a buffer of inactive trees around the spot need to be included in
the control operation. Trees that have already been killed by the SPB can be left behind, as predators of the
SPB will increase their populations on these trees. With any of the following control tactics, the area should
be checked periodically after treatment for trees that may have been missed or for an outbreak around the
treated area.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Onyx

Thanks for that link, I've got my bug guy on it now. I'll report back if it's still available and what he has to say about it.
Last edited by Wildfowler on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Not scientific but burning around the bottom couple of times a year saved some of mine... l think...my biggest problem is oak tree root death syndrome....I've lost sawtooth, pears, apples even blackblocust if you can believe that. Starts out limbs die even upper limbs. My research says ain't no cure....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”