Have any of you camped on Cat Island?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Have any of you camped on Cat Island?

Postby Wingman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm

The adult that's going with us has a 17' boat.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 pm

April is the month for big speckled trout at Cat Island!! The last few years have produced a lot fish, and a bunch of big ones!! Personally, I would be looking for a bigger boat to haul kids out there. Maybe call the DMR and let them know what you are doing, maybe they will ferry you!!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Yeah 17' boat can get real small real quick going out there. I know from experience. My first trip out after I moved down here was on a 16' foot polar and we took a beating. I was sore for a week and was rethinking the whole salt water thing.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 am

I second the real small part about the 17' boat. This aint the sunflower river. A little breeze can chop it up quick. Add to that people and gear. I got stuck in a storm in my 18' center console this past summer and had to run back from East Timbaliar to the marina in some sketchy stuff. Only two people and I just pulled the plug and ran it. It would have been dangerous with some more weight. Maybe ask the GC or DMR like someone else to ferry you. It can go from slick calm to Dutch Harbor quick in a boat that size.
Sea-Donkey
Veteran

Postby Sea-Donkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Here's a map of who owns what on Cat. All the green that was BP's is now Mississippi's. Not sure of the rules of camping MS's but the yellow is fair game like the rest of the barriers (except West Ship).

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS54.KLIX.html

And here's a link to the Sound forecast. Sound is usually listed separate after Lake Borgne but right now they are listing them together. Keep checking all the way up to the morning you depart. 1 or less is the only smooth water. 1-2 is a nice chop, 2-3 is very rough for a small boat. 3-4 or 4-5...don't try that in a 17 foot open bow boat unless you want to be on the news being rescued by Harrison County Sheriff's department.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:42 pm

When in doubt, "Ask Ducksouth", the wealth of knowledge here continues to amaze me. :!:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Sea-Donkey
Veteran

Postby Sea-Donkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 am

B.M.F.T.
Veteran

Postby B.M.F.T. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Don't put kids in a boat that size. You have a minimum of 7 to 9 miles out depending where they launch. The island can be miserable if you aren't prepared for the flies. I watch people go out all the time and realize they are in too small of a boat and come right back. It is open water and it can get rough. I caution you taking kids out unprepared from experience. It can be a great time, just plan ahead.
"That's not luck, that's 1000 hours worth of watching hunting shows."
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Wingman, did you narrow a date down? I have never camped at cat but I pass by it going fishing further out in LA marsh or chandeliers. Can't promise anything at this point but let me know if you need any help and I can see what I can do. If I can make it I can bring a larger boat to lighten your load on the 17'. Don't know what kind of 17' boat the fellow has but once you get all your camping stuff and ice chest you may be loaded pretty good. Some 17' fiberglass boats like a white water or palm beach will take rough water very well for the size boat they are. Been 40 miles out in them. However there are some 17' boats I probably wouldn't chance going to deer island in.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Naw. Apparently going camping with their sons is not high on anyone's list in Belzoni. I can't get another adult to go so we are scrapping the trip.

All these men with creamy lotiony hands. I'm looking for one that's still a guy. Hard to find nowadays. Thanks for the advice. I may just fly out there and land on the dang beach and camp by myself. ;)

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 am

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 am

If you can get us flown to the islands, I'll bring my trout rods and we can wade fish.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 am

Float plane trip to wade fish the barrier islands is a bucket list item for me.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm

A set of floats costs about as much as a new car. Plus it's probably a 185 or larger plane. That's about a 150k rig if it's a newer 30-40 year old plane. That's why float plane trips are so high. But you can spot this bull reds very easily I'm told.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”