Interesting timber article

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Interesting timber article

Postby mallardchaser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Long Cut
Veteran

Re: Interesting timber article

Postby Long Cut » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:59 pm

That was a very good article. Thank you for posting.
Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 pm

AGFC did a good job laying out the reasons for the changes they're going to make. The higher water levels have damaged a lot of habitat. More natural (lower) water levels will make for some interesting times in the public woods.

Most of the folks over there like to drive the boat to the hole they're going to hunt and there might be some walking required now. Less water also means less huntable area and most of the public woods are already overcrowded. The AR boards are being lit up with complaints about OOSers and the general consensus (desire) is that AGFC will do something to restrict non-resident access to certain public lands. Interesting to watch - I don't think they know what they're asking for.
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm

I haven't hunted that many of the AR WMAs. But the few I hunt regularly all show signs of sick trees in places. It's better that AGFC get a plan in place to protect and perpetuate the resources rather than ride this horse into the dirt. Honestly with the flyway seeming to shift westward, now is the time to take steps to restore the health of the woods and cultivate the preferred species.

A lot of the locals are tossing around the idea of a draw. They don't know what they're asking for. I've accepted that I'll never hunt as an adult all the MS places my dad and me visited when I was a kid. Draws....
Never assume.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 am

good read
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 am

That is a good read...

As someone that hunts the AR wma's quite regularly, I really hope these regulations the AR guys are asking for doesn't backfire on them. Everyone is crying about the overcrowding but a little scouting can get you away from the crowds quite easily, even on dry years like we just experienced. My opinion is that guys are going to the same popular spots that everyone knows and races to and they're having mediocre hunts at best. When they get back to the crowded parking lot, they're blaming it all on the out of state license plates they see...
Josh Lantrip

Return to “General Discussion Forum”