Cooking and butchering wild hogs

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Cooking and butchering wild hogs

Postby peewee » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:51 am

Alright folks, I've got a few hogs I'm butchering. Right now I'm about 1/2 way through and I been cleaning my loins and straps up just like I do with deer. I put a couple whole shoulders and quarters up whole with the thought of smoking them. I cleaned the fat and film off of them just like I do my venison. Then I got to thinking a hould I leave that fat on there.

Also how do y'all like cooking these things.
Peewee
Long Cut
Veteran

Re: Cooking and butchering wild hogs

Postby Long Cut » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:26 am

Besides having excellent sausage made with it one of our family favorites is to take the straps and cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch medallions. You can tenderize medallions with a meat mallet or whatever you have before freezing or before cooking. We love to make a wild hog Parmesan fix it just like veal or chicken parm. Pan fry then bake with parm and mozzarella to finish. Serve with penne or whatever pasta and sauce you like. Just google how to make parm and sub the hog meat but for sure tenderize it before you cook it
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 am

i ate some fried tenderloin last night. i perfer to eat it over deer meat.

go to meat eater and look up his recipie for smoked shoulder...
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Woodgoat1

Postby Woodgoat1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:09 pm

****CAUTION****.....Make damn sure you wear rubber gloves when you clean them....they can/do carry Brucelosis....and you sure don't want to contract that!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”