Thoughts on High Fence Hunting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Thoughts on High Fence Hunting

Postby stang67 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 am

One thought is its your land, do as you want to.

Another is, don't call it "hunting". These 650ac high fence places that try to tell people its challenging and just like free range hunting can blow that smoke up someone else's booty. Sampson's Whitetail Ridge for example. Please tell me where in the free range world will you and 3 buddies shoot multiple 180+ bucks in a single day?

Had a guy I know on FB shoot one from there and posted his grab and grin picture with a 180"+ buck and people were drooling all over it. It was so hard to not call him out on it, but I didn't. Anyone with any skills can cover 650 acres multiple times in a day. Its not "hunting", its shooting fish in a barrel. I would never shoot a deer behind a high fence, its not my thing, and wouldn't blow my skirt up.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:29 am

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:05 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 pm

JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Since we're discussing a landowners right to fence his/her property and restrict the travel/use of a public natural resource, and since this is mainly a duck hunting site, let's replace deer with water. How many of you pro-fence advocates would be okay with private landowners that own land under public water building fences to restrict the use of that public natural resource? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I still believe a person should have the right to fence their property should they choose, but they shouldn't be allowed to restrict or interfere with the natural ingress and egress of a public resource.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Would people change their minds if a fence was built to prevent invasion of wild hogs?
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:58 pm

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 am

I've deer hunted in a high fence one time. I saw more deer on the unfenced property than I hunt in Madison County than did inside the fence. This is a 1,200 acre property in Hinds County.

The reason this property is fenced is because of neighbors. They would not keep dogs off the place nor would they stop shooting every deer that walked. Therefore he invested in a fence. He does not bring in breeder bucks, but does grow some really nice deer. He got tired of spending a ton of money and time on MANAGING his deer only to have the majority of his efforts go to his neighbors.

When he put the fence when up his neighbors got pissed, because "he was holding all the good deer and now we can't get to them". Wow! I wonder why he put the fence up.

I have no reason to defend the guy; however, I do understand his logic. I also know that he has to HUNT to kill a big deer inside the fence. Yes, he grows bigger deer than free range. Yes, it is easier to kill A DEER in the fence, but most people that fence a property are not trying to kill A DEER.

Lastly, I have no use for people that sell "canned hunts". Put a deer in a five acre pen and let someone shoot it. No thanks -- I'm out.

The big question is -- where is the line drawn? How big an area is considered "fair chase"? Everyone has to make that decision, but I do suggest people not cast a blanket over all high fences. Some are done for the right reason and do not offer a "guaranteed" hunt.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am

I am against fences altogether and I wish that they weren't allowed in our state.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am

I worked with a guy that put a fence up to keep some folks IN! Person "A" buys a lot of land. The people in the Camp that he now completely surrounds wouldn't sell out, so he fenced them in in a bid to make them sell. Hasn't worked yet, but a few more deer seasons and I bet they sell and the fence comes down. They only have about 200 or so acres now and they are hunting inside fence.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 am

I did it on someone else's dime and got a 222 inch deer getting mounted. I did not brag or put it on facebook, I am not to proud of it. We had more fun hunting a big 6 in a 1000 acre fence that we did hunting the 200 inchers. its a challenge with a bow to kill one of them in a day or two period but nothing like hunting a deer in the wild.

We were right outside of Camden Alabama and it seems to be big business over there but they told us they would not allow breeder bucks in MS.
Get in where you fit in!
britton
Regular

Postby britton » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:10 am

I used to be in Oxberry Bayou. All i can say is the Cons of High fence definitely out weigh the Pros.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:56 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”