Stocking pond with catfish

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Stocking pond with catfish

Postby stitch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:12 am

Going to put catfish in a 7 acre pond / lake......I think.

Lake is overstocked with small bass. Lots of 6-10" bass in the pond. Lots of bream in the pond.

I have easy access to catfish in the 4"-6" range to stock. Is this a mistake? Will the bass eat the catfish that size? Do I need bigger catfish? I guess my thought process is that once the catfish get bigger, they will do a job on the bream and bass........as you can tell by now, I know enough to be dangerous. What I do know is that I want catfish in the pond for kids to catch / eat.......go, what say you?
420 racin
Veteran

Re: Stocking pond with catfish

Postby 420 racin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm

What kind of catfish you putting in there? If you put flathead's in there, they will eat all your fish, (of course not every single one, but..) I have a 3 acre pond and I have some decent bass and a ton of little bream, I put about 100 or so channel cat from my neighbor's catfish pond, bout the same size you talking bout, and they have taken off. That was about 4 years ago and today I can catch catfish, sometimes, all about 4-5 pounds. I like it.

I had the GW's come out years ago and shock the pond and write me a recommendation of what to do. Basically I understand you can have fewer but bigger fish or more but smaller fish. I'm managing for the more and smaller bass. I don't care to catch a 10 pounder, but I love eating 2-3 pounders. and the bream are over stocked for sure, but the kids love it and it's a great way to get them into fishing. I got buddies that bring their kids over and you can catch them all day. They always want to go back and do it again when they catch fish.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:06 pm

a pond full of 20lb flatheads sounds awesome
Woodgoat1

Postby Woodgoat1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Just a thought.....Flatheads don't survive well in anything but moving water.....BIG water....Rivers....
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:48 am

Let me take a shot at this stocking catfish thing:

-- Do not stock flatheads in a pond. They are ferocious predators and will clean the pond out.
-- FHC will successfully reproduce in a pond. The fry have a hard time surviving due to to LMB predation, but some will make it.
-- FHC do not need running water. Several years ago out of a series of neighborhood lakes in Rankin County we shocked up several FHC in the 20-73 lb range.
-- Stocking Channel catfish will NOT help with your LMB overpopulation. A bunch of hungry anglers is the best way to deal with a predator crowded pond.
-- If you have too many bass it is highly unlikely that you have too many bluegill. Unless you had some really weird issue like excessive aquatic vegetation growth, it extraordinarily difficult to have too many bass and too many bream at the same time.

-- Short version: Do not flatheads. Do not stock CCF with the hopes they will remove excess LMB and BG. To get rid of the extra LMB, go fish. If you have too many BG the LMB will take care of them in time.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 am

Can't speak for Pond, but in my case, no the bass didn't eat nearly all of them. I didn't put the channel cats in as any sort of control measure for the bass or bream, I just want them all to co-exist in the pond so the kids can catch them, so far it worked. Me and my little man walked down to the pond yesterday and first cast with the Pumpkin Seed Baby Brushog landed a small 1.5 pound bass..I hooked it.he reeled him in..he loved it, always asks me if we can go fishing..That's why I like a lot of fish over larger fish...right now.. as he gets older we will probably migrate to a different style of management, but right now when my son it tugging on my to go fishing..it's because we catch fish when we go. Might be a catfish, bass or bream, but we catch fish
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 am

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:03 pm

If kids catching fish (any fish) is the #1 objective rather than catfish fillets, stocking intermediate coppernose bluegill and installing a couple of quality automated feeders is the way to go. This would be better for the fishery on the whole (as a bass/bluegill fishery) rather than stocking catfish. I'm sure Pondman can hook you up with both the fish and feeders.
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Which fish feeder do you recommend? Is a Texas Hunter a good brand?
Scott Baker
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:17 am

Scott,

I recommend Texas Hunter. I used to be a big Sweeney guy, but thier quality has really declined in the last few years. I do not sell them, but you can get on-line and order whatever you need. Easy to assemble.

Pond
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 pm

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff

Return to “General Discussion Forum”