Best brand appliances

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Best brand appliances

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sat May 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Wife and I are buying a fridge soon. I gathered from the post that Maytag, Kitchenaide, Amana and whirlpool are on the list. Anyone have any experience with LG or GE?
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun May 21, 2017 7:58 am

The wife and I just went through this process. Maybe I can save you a million mouse clicks, as we waded through prices, brands, online reviews etc. We are 60 days into a Whirlpool WRF5555SDFZ01, 25 cubic foot bottom freezer. We feel like the Rockefellars, as we no longer have to get on our knees to find the strawberry jam in the back of the old bottom door fridge. Ice & water tastes good, we are using the filter. The ice maker is pretty busy,(makes small noises) we're getting used to that. As best as I can tell, this model is specific to Lowes, we bought the longest warranty that they offered, thus guaranteeing no problems until after that time period.
$1,499 + $169.97 5 year warranty = $1.668. 97 before tax.

So far so good, everything works as advertised, I'll get back to you in 20 years.

Word of warning, newer fridges are larger (exterior dimensions) for a variety of reasons, but the same internal square feet results in a larger better insulated exterior, gubment energy star stuff. Thus exterior dimensions are a critical measurement if you have an older home, we had to make a jigsaw adjustment to the bottom of our cabinets above the fridge alcove, to get the a rather basic medium sized model to fit.

I say "older home" everything is relative, but they tell me "newer homes" are designed for the larger stuff, no one can tell me what year they started building "newer homes". :lol: Bring your measuring tape or be handy with a jigsaw. Yes they do have the measurements on-line but that does me little good if there has been a manufacturering change and 1/2 an inch really DOES matter.

Oh yeah, I just had them put it in the back of the truck at Lowes and I strapped it down. I was going to do it all myself, because I don't like Pookie & Cheeto on the delivery install crew (sorry Lowes) knowing where I live and what I got. I rigged a Macgyver pully system using the four wheeler winch to get it out of the truck and lowered to the garage floor. Before I hit the switch I realized that there was a lot at risk and that if it goes bad wrong, this would not look good on the accident report my widow would receive. I called a buddy and it was STILL twice the usual clustermonkey forking a football, removing the handles, humpty hump, angles etc. etc.

Looking back, I should have had the free install and just made friends with Pookie & Cheeto.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun May 21, 2017 8:54 am

+1 on Speed Queen washers....daughter is outside industrial supply sales. Marjack(chicken plant, yuk) was having to replace washer every 3 months; it runs 24/7. DD gottem a SQ going on 3rd year....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”