Amazon sales tax

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Amazon sales tax

Postby Seymore » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Article just release on the Clarion Ledger website.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /97016758/
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
StraightUp
Veteran

Re: Amazon sales tax

Postby StraightUp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 pm

It was bound to happen. Lawmakers are always looking for revenue.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

That sucks bigly!!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 am

Pretty sure they are building a distribution center in Olive Branch, MS right now. That's the rummor anyway. So, it was going to happen anyway I believe.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:43 am

I don't want to pay sales tax for online purchases, but I really feel for the mom and pop stores that have to charge the tax while online companies don't. Fair is fair.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 am

Amazon started charging tax in La Jan 1. I think it's 5% in La.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Mississippi was looking into litigation joined by several other states against Amazon over sales tax. Amazon looked at the cost of litigation versus the cost of collecting the tax and made a business decision. Amazon will most definitely lose sales by starting to collect the tax and they took that variable into consideration in deciding to collect.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:06 pm

If the amazon vendors don't also collect the tax it shouldn't be a problem, you can just order directly from them rather than amazon!
If the tax collection was for the mom and pop stores for a break I might would appreciate it better, and if my tax money was used for legit things!
With the current trump climate (less tax) amazon might have never been sued by ms! Amazon folded like a cheap politician!
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 pm

I am betting this starts a wave a direct vendor sales.
Peewee
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Back to ebay
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:22 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I have no issue with this. I agree about the mom/pop stores having to collect the tax. It's still going to be cheaper for us - now if we had to pay shipping that would be an issue.

The law they're attempting to pass (and I suppose they will) says that companies who do more than $250 grand worth of business in MS will have to collect internet taxes.

If that passes, eBay will have to collect taxes as well. eBay doesn't have the deals it used to have in my experience - most of the buy it now stuff is like a dollar less than other online vendors. eBay's still great for finding rare stuff and occasionally winning a bidding war - but I just don't have time to do that, if I want something I'd rather just order it and get it in the mail.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm

I suppose this has already been litigated? or it certainly will.

If I travel to Mobile, Alabama and buy fuzzy slippers, then return to Mississippi, I don't pay Mississippi sales tax. My purchase was taxed there, money was spent there.

Say a fellar lives in Oregon and selling fuzzy slippers online. If I buy a pair from him, my money goes to an Oregon bank, his slippers are in Oregon, he's in Oregon, why wouldn't I pay Oregon sales tax?

Same as going to Mobile, except I didn't get off the couch.

Only the Feds can regulate interstate commerce, isn't that right?

boog the mystified.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

One thing about Amazon is they're rumored to be building a distribution site in MS. If so, then they'd have to collect tax anyway. They volunteered to do this - I'm not sure the status of the bill that's in the Legislature but I'm pretty sure it is still alive.

But you bring up an interesting point.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”