Introduced to the Sculling Paddle

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Just saw where blgros1 on here asked if the Ark hole busting pair were introduced to the Sculling Paddle? When I saw that remark it reminded me of a story that the late great duck call maker and duck hunter, Mr. Jimmy Riddell once told me about the sculling paddle..

I was at Mr. Jimmy’s one day helping him tune calls and talking about hunting. I had just made a hunt to Lake Albermarie that joins Lake Chotard in Issaquena Co. Mr. Jimmy said it reminded him of a fishing trip there back in the 50’s when he was making and using bass fishing lures..

If you did not cart top your own boat back then, you had to take your chances of renting one of the wooden cypress made boats made by the landing owner. The bass were hitting good and Mr. Jimmy drove the 2hrs from Jackson getting there in time to pull up with the last boat waiting on him. He quickly put his gear in the boat and pulled his vehicle up the muddy road to park at the designated area by Bob’s Cabin. While paying for the boat, getting things for lunch, and talking with Bob, seems that a fellow pulled down to the boat. He unloaded Mr. Jimmy’s gear, put his in the boat, and headed across the lake to the willows on the other side.

When Mr. Jimmy walked down to his unloaded gear, he could see the fellow pulling into the willows on the other side. Unethical slob he muttered to himself as he walked back up to Bob’s cabin. When Bob launched his own cypress boat, Mr. Jimmy picked up his “Sculling Paddle” and hopped in the front of Bob’s boat. He gave Bob strict advise how to cut his motor and glide up beside the unethical gentleman. Mr. Jimmy set the sculling paddle just under the gunwale of Bob’s boat and directed Bob on the path taken into the willows. As Mr. Jimmy got in range of the fellow, with one swift motion the sculling paddle caught the fellow behind the ear and sent him into the water. Mr. Jimmy, who weighed in at 110 lbs., jumped into that boat, kept swinging at the other fellow whenever he tried to get in the boat. He proceeded to detach his motor and throw it and his fish gear into the 10 ft. deep waters of Lake Albermarie.. He said he tossed the fellow a boat cushion as he directed Bob back across the lake pulling his rented boat. He told me he had a good day and caught a good many bass on his Little Jem
Last edited by Jake St. John on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Introduced to the Sclling Paddle

Postby stang67 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Having spent many days (and nights) in those lakes, I could picture every word. Thanks for sharing!
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Introduced to the Sculling Paddle

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Awesome read and some well deserved justice!
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Love those little old lures.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 pm

I enjoyed that. Thanks
Scott Baker
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 pm

That was good!
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

That's a great story. Would have loved to seen it in person.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 am

Great read and very believable!
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 pm

:D :D :D
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Peewee
billjohnson
Veteran

Postby billjohnson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 am

You can always count on Mr. E for a good tale. Enjoyed that.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”