outdoor kitchen

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

outdoor kitchen

Postby merlebo05 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:21 pm

I am doing an outdoor kitchen and looking for ideas.. What are some must haves for an outdoor kitchen and what is the best arrangements. I am thinking a grill (propane vs ceramic charcoal ???), electric flat top, electric smoker..

What are some do's and do not's?
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Re: outdoor kitchen

Postby dukluk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Got this trio hybrid unit for my outdoor kitchen at our lakehouse....best thing I ever did....left side has a big propane burner for frying and boiling, etc....center is a big propane grill....right side is a charcoal grill.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/smoke-ca ... ll/5755162

Right beside it, I put my inexpensive Cabelas smoker....I like the electric, but they got a Brinkman propane model, too....either, costs about $100 bucks, and smokes just as good as the expensive models....and, you can be smoking, frying, boiling, or grilling, all at the same time, for less than $500 bucks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 6CQ_st%3Db
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:13 am

I don't have an outdoor kitchen, but I'd put in a heavy duty gas range and a big green egg XL built in to the counter top surface.

Large volume deep frying and large pot boiling is best done where you have plenty of room, away from a kitchen area. Just a high quality burner hooked up to a tank, only brought out when needed is what I'd have. That being said, you could prepare a nice area to do it in.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 am

If you are close to Baton Rouge, spend an afternoon at Shoppers Choice. They have about a dozen outdoor kitchen setups to look at. Now it's high end stuff. But it's a really really cool place. Of course the sell all the equipment at that "showroom," too.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I don't have an outdoor kitchen but I do have a big green egg. In my opinion you can't beat a ceramic grill. You can do everything on it. It's easy once you get the hang of temp control and meats will be the juiciest you have ever eaten.
Peewee
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm interest in the topic too. I hope to build a house in the future and plan to have an outdoor area to enjoy. I don't want a high end area but more of an area I can cook stuff. An area to fry food especially, even bacon as I don't like to fry anything inside. A simple area with a sink, gas stove top is more my speed on this project and would enjoy any ideas and pictures too.
Scott Baker
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 pm

I built one this part year while building my house. We stubbed natural gas to it and purchased a Lion drop in grill and side burner for cooking fish on. To the side of the burner I had them build an area for my Bayou Classic ceramic grill. We grill out several nights a week and have used the gas grill 10-1 vs the ceramic. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the ceramic but cooking for two young kids i choose the convenience over the time it takes to heat the ceramic. Mine is not covered and sits right off the screened porch. I didn't won't the grills smoking up my porch. I can text you pics if needed.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:18 pm

jtdumallard I sent you a PM
TK
Regular

Postby TK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Commercial gas top griddle is a must in my opinion
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

I put a lot thought in my outdoor kitchen located in screened in patio. One must have was a sink. I put in a bar sink and it's OK, but if to do over again, I would have put in a large sink. I have a green egg built into the counter top and a dorm size fridge underneath. Several cabinets underneath for storage (charcoal, cooking supplies, etc..). Above my grill is a vent hood that is plumbed out the roof. I put some LED bulbs under the vent hood to change color, looks pretty neat at night. I can dig up a pic of my outdoor kitchen if you want to see for ideas.

So must haves:
Grill
Fridge
stubbed for gas/propane
Sink w/hot water
Vent hood
storage cabinets
and wall mounted TV so you can watch the game while grilling.

Dead
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Kamado Joe and Cajun Fryer :D
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”