RNT calls ID

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
wap
Veteran

RNT calls ID

Postby wap » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 am

Hey guys, I'm new to the duck call collectors world but it is something that I've become interested in. Is there anyone who can explain the difference in saw cut and mill cut on an RNT call? I know what it is but how do you know the difference in one by looking at the insert? I'll hang up and listen
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: RNT calls ID

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:54 am

Those terms are tossed around a lot on the call trader pages. They are usually used pretty loosely. All RNT calls are "milled" now on a CNC machine, and have been for many years, unless you have one jigged out by Butch. The old Daisy Cutters, some (non jigged) MVP's, and others were cut on a particular style of mill that left hazy white (depending on the color of the insert material) horizontal ridges across the tone board you can often see, and always feel with your thumb nail. I don't remember the years they were done this way, GH22, Tuel or Cupnglide might know.

There are many folks that think these "ridges" contributed to the "special" sound of the "old school" Daisy Cutters. In my experience, when folks are talking about "saw cut" or "mill cut" calls on the trader pages, they are referring to the same thing, these calls with the "ridges" on the tone board from tool chatter, and when they say "CNC'd" calls, they mean everything else. "Jigged" means Butch cut it out on his jig with a band saw. Never heard anyone call these "saw cut," they are usually called "jigged." When you see a call for sale and a pic of the reed pulled up to show the tone board, they are trying to show the ridges left by tool chatter. I will see if I can find a picture.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am

Here are some pictures. The "saw cut" (really "milled") ridges are easy to see/feel in person, harder to photo with an iPhone. These are all from Daisy Cutters.

Pre-Scroll:

Full Scroll:

Full Scroll:

Hope that helped.

HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am

Great examples and explanation, GC. The old milling machines shaped the calls (particularly the toneboards) differently. Close inspection shows it.

I don't know if the "saw cut" is really the difference between older calls and newer calls. The story goes that RNT changed the mapping instructions many times, tweaking the shape, over the life of the calls. And they didn't take notes of the changes. So, they can't just pull up the mapping for a half-scroll OSDC and start spitting them out. That mapping is lost to time and changes in equipment (CNC). Sure, they could rescan someone's old OSDC. But John has said that he will not do that.
Never assume.
wap
Veteran

Postby wap » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Good info guy's. Thanks
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:16 pm

GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 am

Because John does not want to incur the total WRATH of the call collecting community that has supported RNT for decades by gutting the value of their OSDC collections. He is still selling a ton of calls.

HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”