Fratstar or not?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Re: Fratstar or not?

Postby matador1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 am

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 am

Was the shirtless picture the result of a lost bet?
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:32 pm

No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 pm

My dad bought me and him a wigeon 4 Colombia in bottomland camo in 98 I believe. We both still wear them. Mine is too small so I am handing it down to my Daughter. You can wear a t shirt under that thing and still be warm in the 30's.. Heck of a jacket
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 pm

RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:45 am

Damnit Dan, that hurts my eyes!
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:15 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 am

The original Columbia parka had a hood the size of an astronaut helmet. My brother and I called it the "isolation hood". If you put it up you were out of the game and in your own toasty world, as it would cook you. It was also like a large bucket, that scooped up half the woods as you moved. Putting it up meant a debris field raining on your head and down your neck. Until that jacket came out most coats were almost down to the knees in order to go past hip boots. But hip boots were becoming a thing of the past. I filled out the mail in order form from Cabela's and mailed them a check at full price to get one. Still have the coat

Columbia had/has? a "lifetime guarantee" and lotta folks sent theirs back for various reasons. They just sent you the newest coat, not as good as the old one. Old one had hidden shell loops between the inner coat and outer, good for covert ops in hostile territory. I've seen various versions, some did, some did not.

Using ReviveX every two years or so, keeps it waterproof.

If you were an "early adopter" of good gear you typically had mountain climbing gear from REI or someplace like that. GoreTex was in black/brown or dark green before it was camo. Camo still raises the price of everything. Mountain climbing moved warm clothing from cotton, to wool, to down, to synthetics and soon fleece was born. Wind stopper followed the same path, first out as expensive climbing gear, then camo.

I credit mountain climbing with keeping us warm today.

I'm still looking at the price first, the materials second, brand or camo pattern is never considered. Give me the discount rack or bargain cave in black, brown, or dark green or gray. If it has a dark camo pattern that's a plus, no corn field yellow.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:19 am

Remember when only had the rubber lace ups with the brite yellow strings; gottem at Gibsons/Howard's then the rubber waders. But I can't figure out why they stopped with the quilted underware that ereybody had!
http://www.hanksclothing.com/codet_quil ... rwear.html
That was the schnitz now don't see it anymore....guess can order. The new idea is the thin synthetics works the same. But that thick 1" quilt feel was nice....oh well...used the top as a jacket. Was everywhere...
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 pm

rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:08 am

Think this is another iteration of one of those Fratstars listed earlier. It's not whackin and stackin any more it's now swackin on em.
IMG_4820.PNG
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Headed to ebay now to buy some curls to put around my dome light! Might buy a band or two while I'm there.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:17 am

The "mountain climbing/hiking gear" analysis is spot on. Or was in the 1990's. I have a black Patagonia puffball I wore out from duck hunting with it for 15 years. Are the Fratstars on a Filson kick yet? Hope I can still keep some "fudd cred" with my ratty old Filson sweaters, and heavy ass field coat.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”