Fratstar or not?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Fratstar or not?

Postby mallardchaser » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Post up your hunting attire and lets see if you are "frat star" or not.

Who the heck came up with that name anyway?

Mine:

Cheap military poly pro brown zip long johns.
Old LL Bean wool shirt, green/brown.
Either Mcalister pull over brown or my cool new Drake Strata coat I copied from Wildfower. Also have an old Browning down I sometimes use. Wore a muddy water today that I got at a silent auction.

Mcalister wading vest , green

Either some kinda foreign military surplus wool pants or carharts.

Old ass Mcalister bag, old ass bag from the mean mallard.

Used the cheapest waders I could buy for years after I couldn't find anymore hodgemans. Bought some fratty
Banded this years. They are so comfortable, I've been thinking about wearing them to work.

Old filson hat, brown. It's ugly but is broken in good and I like it.

Old ps olt

So did I pass of fail?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Re: Fratstar or not?

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:54 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

It's probably frat star but I have a Kuiu jacket that is bad news.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:54 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 am

And it happens so innocently.

Local frat star boy who was fortunate enough to get invited for breakfast inside the camp house of one of those fancy-schmancy hunting camps that most frat stars only dream about.

While at fancy schmancy lodge , frat star eats food he's never experienced before. Unfortunately for frat star, he's used to a diet of potted meat and nabs this time of the year.

When his stomach can take no more he's forced to defile the potty in the fancy schmancy guest bathroom.

Once the initial gut wrenching pain spasms have left his body, he does what most anyone would do. Pick up latest copy of reading material from the back of the commode.

Mind you, fancy schmancy club does not subscribe to the Mississippi sportsman. No, frat star sees a collection of literature he's never even heard of before. While perusing through the latest copy of SCI Magazine, frat star discovers a whole new echelon of hunting related paraphernalia.

Thoughts begin racing through his mind. Thoughts he's never had before. He can for a brief period of time he knows he can be the envy of all of his frat star buddies when he shows up wearing a new coat. He knows he can be the frat star champion for a day. All he has to do is borrow mommy's credit card and place the order......

And so it begins. Another line of hunting garment taken over by the frat stars.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 am

All my gear is 7+ years old. Hell I probably look like a homeless hunter...
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am

Nobody owes you anything.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 am

Ive got a pair of silk longhandles i got back in 1980 that i still have and break out on special occasions (elastic gave up the ghost in the mid to late 90's). Of course i dont know if the elastic gave out due to age or from the fact that it was originally for a 30 inch gut and now im screaming up on a 40 inch midriff!!!
It pairs well with my ol 870 with the mismatched stock and forearm.

Back when i was a true fratboy, i broke down in 1989 and bought a columbia widgeon 4 in 1 coat with the then "brand stinkin new" mossy oak bottomland camo pattern. I was quite the talk of the local coffee shop with all my new found wealth that was evident by my garb that all the cool kids were wearing.........O the days of old :D :D :D
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am

And by the way..............I was poppy my collar on that wigeon coat back then also.
You can't hide money or cover up frat...........she runs deep in the delta!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 am

Ah the good old days of the Columbia widgeon 4 parka. I was just speaking about that last night with some buddies. I still have one in yellowflauge.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am

That was gore-tec............remember when that was new? Best thing since Velcro and neoprene!!!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:45 am

I got mine from a place called Hunt and Whitaker in Jackson. That's why I love going into Paul's mart in Cleveland every chance I get. It's just like stepping back through time into the doors of Hunt and Whitaker back in 1985 all over again.

Gore-Tex was the best. I guess it still is but nobody uses it anymore. Must be too expensive for China to duplicate?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 am

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:56 am

Come to think of it, I don't think you could possibly be considered a frat star if you shop exclusively at Paul's mart?

Unless of course the frat star guys come to realize Paul's Marts value as a "retro" shop.

Maybe in another quarter of a century from now, if I'm still here, Paul smart will carry the complete line of Drake and banded hunting garments that fret stars are wearing today?

Hahah
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Bought my first "parka" from Walmart in early 90's. It lasted 2 seasons.
In 95' I had my first real job in Greenville.
That same year, I broke down & traded my browning pump for a Beretta AL390 and a Columbia Widgeon from the Sportsman there on Hwy 1. I was probably fratstarring then, but 21years later, both the 390 & the Widgeon are still my every day gear during hunting season!
I will continue using both until the time comes.
Not looking forward to that day. We've been through a lot together!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”