Best inexpensive Game Cameras

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
southdeltan
Veteran

Best inexpensive Game Cameras

Postby southdeltan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I know it's a little late in the game, but these are mainly intended as Christmas presents.

Recommendations for best Cameras below $100 and best below $75. Please let me know if they're flash and/or infrared.

I'm pretty new to this but we had one (that we didn't get out in time, probably went under 2 foot of water (it was 5 feet up a tree) that we enjoyed last year. Moultrie A-5. It wasn't spectacular but it was cheap.

And Yes, I know you get what you pay for... (and I don't have time to homebrew anything right now).

sd
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Best inexpensive Game Cameras

Postby teul2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

I have 2 of the Moultrie M-880 cameras. Love them. 8 megapixel and shoot great video (only way I use them). This is a great deal too.
https://www.vminnovations.com/Product_70725/-2-Moultrie-Game-Spy-M-880-Gen2-Low-Glow-Trail-Cameras-2-SD-Cards.html?rd=gpf_70725&gclid=COj7wdul4dACFdQ7gQodyugD4Q

Also, get a few extra SD cards, 4gig is about all you need if you check them regularly, and one of these card cases. Great case.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=828755&gclid=CPyf_rem4dACFdM2gQodd2EHOA&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C116777138042%2C&is=REG&A=details
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Wild Game Innovations Blade 8X is the camera you seek.

http://www.ruralking.com/game-camera-only-x8-lightsout.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1bqkl2mB6lFHSMfxcrAxmAAiHeg2C2-t5-dtzCZ-cKJUaAlm48P8HAQ

I have been running this one for two years and have only one complaint... it does not record sound.

DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:01 am

Hybrid Biscuit
Veteran

Postby Hybrid Biscuit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 am

Have either of you had trouble with night time pictures with the Wild Game Innovations camera? The one I had was hit and miss with night pictures. The majority of night pictures were almost black or could barely make out what you were looking at in the picture.
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Only when the batteries get really low. Even then it still lights up... just not very bright.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:37 pm

My other one is a Cuddeback long range IR and when they say long range, they mean it. :lol:

It is a 20 megapixel camera and records sound. Only thing I don't like is the weird sound it makes in night videos.

southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks guys. My wife works for a newspaper and I'm a bit of a tech guy (just never got interested in taking pictures of videos of game until last year) so I have a ton of SD cards laying around from 2 to 32 GB. I've got several 8GB ones and they've never remotely got full. Right now we have some IR camera my mom spent too much for at Sams (but it did come with an 8gb card and batteries) but the range just isn't working for me.

I haven't really set up any for video yet but I will. I'm also going to set the one that drowned up in an obvious position as a decoy. Of course, as my dad says he really doesn't want to catch anybody on our land.

I have a brother that spends more money on hunting than I do on surviving so he'll provide the dough for the higher end stuff later. I still can't believe we let the backwater get the one last year. I swear, I could have walked to it but I thought my other brother (not the big spender) picked it up.

It'll be nice to put a 2 or 3 on the main access points to our property as well - very well hidden. To see who comes and goes. And one inside our camp house. I'm sure I can keep that one hidden. :)

Mainly it's cool to see what wildlife is out and about.
COONDOG
Veteran

Postby COONDOG » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

I have been using the Browning Dark Ops (blackout cam) for a couple years now and really like them.
The only drawback I have to them is they only hold 6 x AA batteries so battery life is not the greatest.
Simmons Sporting goods had the 8mp one on sale the other day for $99.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”