Ask DS Braintrust

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Ask DS Braintrust

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 am

This is probably better suited for the Gun Dog forum, but I need some advice that I am afraid is going to hurt.

For 10 years, Jack would not be bothered when the lap yapper tried to steal his food. In fact, he would let him. Recently, however, he has become more aggressive about his food. Maybe this personality change is because he has become an old dog. Maybe it is a side effect of the tumors I've mentioned earlier. I don't know.

This morning, when the lap yapper tried to move in on the very last bit of his food, Jack d@mn near bit his head off. I mean growling and snarling and snapping at him.

For those of you who have experience with Labs, should I take this as a signal that he is in pain? Will it get worse? I need some advice fellows. Thanks.
Nobody owes you anything.
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS Braintrust

Postby Hayes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

Has he shown any aggression toward people?

If it were me I would not be much worried about him letting the other dog know that this is his food, even if he has never done it before. If he started acting differently toward people I would start getting concerned. I have had a lot of dogs both aggressive and laid back and have seen them all get a little territorial from time to time especially where food is concerned. Just my .02
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am

My dog has gotten a lot more ornery in his old age, that's for sure. Just like some old humans I know.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:59 pm

I've been around a few older dogs (labs) and a lot of them get a little ornery later in life, if it's more than that, ask your vet.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 am

our old dog (mutt, not a lab) has gotten much less tolerant of the younger dogs (cocker twins-boys) and even growls if I happen to be standing behind her at the counter while she is eating...I notice it in myself as I age (less tolerant of ig'nant lil bastages!), so I give her a break.

sounds like jack's "polish" is wearing off as he ages, as my wife says of herself, and he just doesn't care to be overly-polite to the lap-yapper, anymore!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 am

Get his thyroid checked. In older dogs it can lead to aggression.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:22 am

I have seen it in many different breed of dogs as they get older. May be ornery with strangers, kids, or other dogs that would used to never bother them.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:14 pm

It ain't gonna get better, sorry to say. Seen it before, there's no need to type out my long winded examples.

My personal theory is that yes, it is due to pain. Many are hunted hard, just as hard as we hunt, old hips, arthritis, knee joints etc. take a beating. He may have chronic pain.

One vet I spoke to also offered a dementia theory (age realated) that I had not considered.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”