Drones and Scouting Capabilities...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mojo662
Regular

Re: Drones and Scouting Capabilities...

Postby mojo662 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:22 am

It was with a local state gw. I first asked about using a drone during hunting and his reply was "any use of aircraft to aide in hunting is illegal." I then proceeded to give a theoretical situation of "So if I have five duck holes and want to go check them with a drone on Thursday and see which hole would be best to hunt on Friday, could I do that?" And again his reply was "no using it to scout would still be considered using to aide in hunting". I did not know enough about the rules and regulations to pose much of an argument, so I just left it alone.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Unless you just come out an tell them, how they gonna know you're "scouting"? Maybe you've had a problem with trespassers and you're trying to find out where they're coming on to the property from? Maybe you've had issues with the water control structure and you're just checking to see if it's holding water like it's supposed to? Maybe the ole lady down the road's dog got out and you're trying to help her find it? Maybe your just flying over the property cause you can?
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
mojo662
Regular

Postby mojo662 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I understand and agree with what yal are saying, I was just simply stating the conversation that was had.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Overzealous over reaching make up the laws as you go along type LEO is my opinion.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^ This
It's asinine to say someone can't use a radio control airplane/helicopter/"drone" with a camera on it to see if there is water or birds in a hole or whatever and to equate that to the use of an aircraft to aid in hunting. Just wanting to write a ticket
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:07 pm

I never scout, I'm merely birdwatching, as I am a birdwatcher, I am simply looking for interesting ornithological species of any kind.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

boog aka "Mr. Audubon"
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:29 pm

They are pretty dang awesome and effective. A guy in our camp just got one and it will fly almost 3 miles before it's out of range and when it does go out of range, you can set it to fly back to you at a certain elevation. Does the same when the battery runs low. We are getting 28 minutes out of it on full charge and the video and live footage is unbelievable. The one he bought is the phantom 4 professional. I think it's a great hunting tool and alot of fun to play with as well :mrgreen:
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 am

I have an Inspire 1. I use it to check duck food, water levels, and birdwatch. It will scare birds from a lot further away than you think. I can be 3-400' up in the air and have them flush. I never ever ever hunt the day after I fly though...
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 am

That brings up a question. Chuckle says he never hunts the day after he flies. So what does the law say about that, how long after you "use the aid of aircraft" do you have to wait before you can go hunting in there. How does this apply to Crop Dusters, can they not hunt for XXX time after they get out of the air, cause you know they looked and saw where any birds were or a bunch of deer in a field or whatever... so is that considered using aircraft? I would think the law is intended to prevent you from flying around and shooting stuff from the air, and it has morphed into, or been construed to mean what we are talking about now.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:15 am

What about if I get a phone call from a buddy who flew over the delta telling me what he saw? Does the third party aircraft scouting rule apply? Wait, what about MDWFP Waterfowl Surveys and the reports they generate telling us where the concentrations of ducks are in the MS Delta? Are we all breaking the law if we read that report and then go hunt? I mean, the survey used an aircraft. Oh no...... time to turn myself in I guess.

Loose lips sink ships is all I gotta say.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

From 50 CFR 20 on Migratory Bird Hunting, Section 20.21 -> What hunting methods are illegal? . . . (d) From or by means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or aircraft of any kind . . . (h) By means or aid of any motor-driven land, water, or air conveyance, or any sailboat used for the purpose of or resulting in the concentrating, driving, rallying, or stirring up of any migratory bird;

Section (h) is understandable and fairly straight forward.

However, section (d) appears to leaves plenty room for interpretation, albeit seemingly ridiculous to say that flying over a property to see if there are ducks there to hunt tomorrow is illegal. Along those lines, it could be illegal to use a tractor to disk and plant (by aid/use of motor vehicle) – where’s the difference in the day before or two months before?

I’d have to politely tell the game warden to tell it to the judge if I got a ticket for flying a plane/drone the day before, not that I have a plane or a drone anyway.

And in case anyone is wondering, “Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft”, but it might be fun to try.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Is scouting the same as hunting?

Granted, the kind of drone I would like to use probably has weapons mounted to it. But for the average fratstar......
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”