Wolf question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Wolf question

Postby levi127 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 pm

My question, is it legal to shot a wolf in MS?

On our farm in tunica we have a pack of coyotes and a wolf that run together oddly I guess. Saw him last year during the flood cross the duck field. Then seen him a few times over the year at a distance away. This morning him and the coyotes came through the woods roughly 40 yards away. I tried to video him only to see later I didnt hit the record button when I went to show my daughters.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Re: Wolf question

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:05 pm

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 am

Speaking as a former wolf trapper and researcher, I am 100% certain that you have not seen a wolf. The closest wolf pack to Mississippi is in Wisconsisn, and none have ever dispersed this far south.There are no wolves in Mississippi, and none anywhere that 'run' with coyotes.
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:40 am

My guess is that you have an abnormally large coyote or some type of dog cross breed.

My uncle killed one on our farm in central MS about 20 yrs ago that weighed 78 lbs. Called the MDWFP biologist and he said it appeared to be a cross with a German Shepard or other large breed dog. This think was huge. We hung it up on our skinning rack, and it was as long as a deer. I just wish we had camera phones back then. Never thought to take any photos.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 am

Maybe he'll breed and help take out all the black panthers seen around the state....
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 am

I've read that the Red Wolf will crossbreed with the coyote. We used to have Red Wolves here.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am

Yep serious! Lol
I might sound bat crap crazy about it but oh well. He looks exact opposite of a coyote in color. He is more of a white/greyish color, -alot taller and bigger. Always stays behind them also whenever we have seen them like yesterday morning. Very well could be a cross with something. But the color stuck out the most with him.

Wolves have never came to the south? What is a red back wolf? We have a biologist on our farm in lagrange Tn that was tracking a pack for about 4-5 yrs. Then they were gone. This was probably 10yrs ago also id guess.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 am

Levi - To answer your original question about it being legal to shoot a wolf in MS, I'd have to say NOT no, but HELL NO! Mainly because it's not a wolf!
It does sound like you need to get some good pictures of this creature though!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 pm

I would Like Wingman to explain to me how shooting something, that doesn't exist in the state, is illegal? I've always wondered that. If wolves are not here, but are protected, and I shoot one of them then how is it illegal?
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:57 pm

could it possibly be a hybrid (offspring, now)? i personally knew 2 people that had them as pets. came from a trainer at parchman, trying to create a super-tracker...couldn't breed enough of the wild out of them. they were timber wolf/husky (maybe malamute) mix. not sure if they were neutered or still in tact, but seems like my best friend's (dire, of course) was in tact.
i have also noticed "oversized" coyotes in the last decade or so, that i was almost certain was a cross-breed with a dog because of the coloring.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:44 pm

I have photo after photo of coyotes on the property. But this 1 animal I have none of.
I know our biologist lost track of them after a few years. Never knew if they were shot or just went on their way. We had ames plantation that butted up against us and it was in their transition from a elite hunting club to shoot it if it walks place now from what I understand. Owner of holiday inn was on the other side of us and allowed the guys to use the helicopter to actually follow and track them from the air at some time or another. They were only spotted by air a few times when flushed out of the woods during non hunting season.
I figure this could be a hybrid of some kind. I talked to the farmer next to us also down there and his group saw it before season as well crossing wide open field.
So for me and everyone in our group, it lives to see another day and will not be shot at. I just didnt know and figured to ask.
Hopefully I will get a photo of him to show
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm

You could have a 'Call of the Wild' situation. Maybe somebody's husky got out and decided to run to the wildness still in his genes. It could also be a hybrid somebody tried to keep as a pet and let go or lost because they couldn't handle it.

If you get a photo, please share it on here.
Recovered

Postby Recovered » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Recovered

Postby Recovered » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”