AR Opener

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sondance
Veteran

AR Opener

Postby sondance » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:56 am

One word: SUCKED

Hunted SE AR for the opener. I personally didn't fire a shot. Didn't hear many shots fired in surrounding areas. Saw very few. Primary concentrations were around the MS river due to no water in surrounding areas. But "concentration" is being used loosely. Even the bar pits are dried up. We pumped up some timber with millet planted in it and some WRP areas with millet so we had water but no ducks. Most farmers in surrounding area have cut, disked and rowed up ag fields. A few geese started to come in after the cold front in low numbers. If you have a paid hunt coming up in the area after Thanksgiving I would suggest calling ahead to see if any birds have moved in or get the mindset that you are going to enjoy nature. My contacts in NE AR saw very few birds as well

I did speak to someone in MN this morning and they are forecasted to get some cold weather this week so maybe by the 2nd split we will start to see some birds in the area
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: AR Opener

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks Sondance. Nice to see a little talk about duck hunting. You carry your springer with you?

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 am

Yes I did he was ready to go but wound up sleeping in his Mo Marsh
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 am

Take plenty of pics this season and keep them posted!

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 am

Good news, I had another conversation with someone in MN. High today is going to be in the 20"s. Water is starting to freeze but it will take awhile. In the past I have seen everything locked up there with 3 feet of snow on the ground and there will still be Mallards in the spring fed ponds.
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:40 am

A hunting buddy of mine killed 6 man limit by 7:45 Sat am off of the White River.
southernmallard
Duck South Addict

Postby southernmallard » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:36 am

We hunted our place in SE Arkansas for the opener as well. We killed 6 birds. Normally, the opener is a dove shoot but this year was by far the worst opener we have had. It doesn't help that half of our fields do not have water. We have the ability to pump from wells on one side of the property but the other half is normally pumped from a bayou and it is dry as a bone.

Ugly, ugly start.........
GRHRCH Hilltop's Peanut Butter Crackers MH QAA - "Nab"
Jackson's Record Chasing Redux - "Riley"

HAIL STATE
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 am

Had a good opener but lack of water made it tough. Still managed to work ducks and get them in close to finish. My one gripe though...who the hell walks around with 10 + guys in the dark and asks to join your party? 1-2 guys I can see. Yeah, ya'll grab a tree...but 10 + come on.
Josh Lantrip
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Sucked for us but I know of a couple groups that whooped on them Saturday and Sunday. Really dropped off after that. Little water in the woods, few ducks, and they really wanted in a handful of places and if you weren't there you might as well have been calling at wood ducks. Learned a lot. Not a totally wasted trip at all. Just sure would've liked to pull the trigger a little more.

I think I saw 2 flooded fields and neither one had a duck on it. Just about everything is bare dirt.
JCA
Regular

Postby JCA » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Hunted at our place Saturday through Monday and we were able to kill ducks every day. The number of ducks we saw Monday morning compared to Saturday was a drop in the bucket. More specks around than I ever remember seeing this early in the year though.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”