Life vest?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jkmjr
Regular

Life vest?

Postby jkmjr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 pm

My son will be doing some open water hunting this year and I was wanting to get him a high quality life vest. I would really love to get something he could keep on all the time, if possible. Suggestions please.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Life vest?

Postby teul2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:52 am

My son may do some hunting this year as well. I am going to try and make those hunts on land, but, where a boat is needed, I am considering a self inflatable vest. Just so i don't have to worry about him taking it off. I really like the looks of this model, but haven't found any more info on it. And will probably have to take a sharpie to it so it's not the bright color.
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/deckvest-cento-junior

And on the other hand, he can swim like a fish, we get pretty stable when hunting, I am cheap, and $200 is a lot for a life vest he is going to quickly out grow. So I may go with a small camo model like this that I wear.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-COMFORT-MESH-PFD/1801532.uts

Don't get me wrong, my son's life is worth every penny I have. And $200 is no hill for a stepper. But those inflatables just seem over priced and they don't 100% convince me that they will deploy when needed.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Ya'll got me to thinking, my life vest is perhaps 20+ years old, maybe 30. :shock: Never needed it, tried it out once in the summer years ago, worked okay, not sure how or IF it will still work under real world winter conditions, extra weight in the gut, etc.

I followed the link to Cabelas and started to look around. Found this one I'm going to try, $79.99 seems fair.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/ ... QAWidgetID
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 am

jkmjr
Regular

Postby jkmjr » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 am

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:22 pm

The manual inflatables are great my old booty doesn't go w/o mine. But it's a type III and I think your still required to have a rigid floation one along too. Hard to find one for$80 lately. BTW check the tag they are not recommended/rated for knotheads under 16. Might help to manual blow it up so know what to expect.

Another thing on safety... Get that kill switch cord replaced and use it on those outboards. Had some buds fishin Big Muddy outa Port Gibson ran over a log wide open thru em both outa da boat the had vests on but almost got run over by the boat as it spun circles around them. Luckily were spotted and saved... Got another bud on Pearl River I asked what are the 2 springs on each side of you OB. That's for if we hit log and go over the boat will go on strait and not come back and run over us...

http://www.boaterkids.com/can-kids-wear ... ife-vests/
Last edited by Denduke on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Florida Boy
Regular

Postby Florida Boy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

My Grandson is going with me this year already have a vest for him and i'm making him wear it !!! He can take it off about one minute before shooting light and sit on it incase he needs it quick. I cannot come home and explain and I don't want to live with stupid or arrogant,apathetic not great either.
simmy
Regular

Postby simmy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:24 pm

We have been using a simple camo vest. The flotation consists of 3pieces. Held to get her by some straps. The flotation in front is real low so it doesn't interfere with shooting. I also have a Onyx shooting vest that was on clearance at academy that looks like it should work great. If the kids are in the boat or pirogue they have a vest on regardless. If we're standing by a tree in knee deep water they can take them off. If hunting out of boat a regular vest just won't do while shouldering a gun.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”