Timber Hunting - Handheld GPS

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Timber Hunting - Handheld GPS

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:55 pm

I've got the GPSMAP 64st I'll sell you for $150. It's already got an 8 GB card in it, and I have already loaded Mississippi and, I think, Arkansas topo on it from GPS Depot (better than Garmin topo maps, IMO). See link below- mine is orange.

Only problem is, if you wanted it, I gotta find it. It's been awhile since I've used it. Come to think of it, I don't know where in the hell I put it...

Nothing wrong with it, and it never loses lock- even in deep ravines with a heavy canopy in the Ozarks. Even if mine is MIA, I highly recommend it. I don't need it anymore because now I have a Garmin Alpha. If **** gets real, I know a guy I can borrow a drone from.

I'm gone, gotta look for my GPS...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-G ... lsrc=aw.ds
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:20 pm

How do you like the Alpha GHGR? I have a squirrel and coon dog I need to keep track of.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:49 pm

I have an Astro 320 for squirrel hunting/tracking dogs but I like a smaller one for duck hunting so it doesn't take up so much room. It is more for when your "temporarily disoriented" more than everyday navigation as about 85% of the places I go i can generally get there without using it. I had an etrex legend cx forever but it was randomly shutting off so just picked up a etrex 30x and it seems to fit the bill.
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 pm

I started out with a Garmin Vista then switched to a Delorme PN40 until it died. Both were color screen models and ate batteries. I bought the cheapest Garmin Etrex (yellow version) without color screen before last season. No more eating batteries and hasn't lost signal in the woods on me yet. However, I still feel naked if I don't have a compass.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:28 am

[quote...="JLT"]How do you like the Alpha GHGR? I have a squirrel and coon dog I need to keep track of.[/quote]

I LOVE it.

I bought a 32 GB microSD and have loaded aerial imagery for several of my hunting areas. Garmin's aerial imagery has improved drastically. It makes a big difference seeing your dog track over the imagery- as opposed to the topo.

I've also got several image overlay basemaps I created that are just the MDWFP/USFS/Refuge boundary maps that I have loaded onto it. I use them bc Doc is a pretty big running dog and some of the areas I've located coveys are not near (if human legs were the concern) private property, but they are close enough to where I want to be able to whoa my dog before he gets close. Plus, the refuges have several no hunting/entrance areas. Definitely don't wanna kick over that poop can.

My rant for the thread: In terms if my uses for a GPS- most of my uses are for patterning the animals/fish. I'll mark anything of relevance; after I've left the field I then go back home and take a look or use later for a gameplan or future referencing. Most places I know where I am. Nowadays, I use a phone for most of my aforementioned uses. My Samsung is IP67 rated, but if that's not good enough, you can get a lifeproof. If 30 ft accuracy over a high Def aerial ain't good enough for ya, then you might need to get a China-made headlamp and turn it on. If anyone calls me it won't ring bc service is turned off for battery. If they somehow got through, I'd hit ignore. You can cache aerials in Google maps of your hunting areas so you don't need service. There are other map programs/apps that'll do the same.

As far as being lost, rarely am I milling around in an area for long that I don't already have a reason for being there (seeing animal sign, etc.). However when I'm on a draw hunt, since time is so limited, I'll load the MDWFP'S unit maps as an overlay onto my GPS with pre-marked points to check out for setting up, based on the wind. In that instance- and in others, like hunting a totally new chunk of land- I want the speed, simplicity and accuracy of a dedicated GPS unit.

Like Ted said, I never go in the woods without a compass. Of course, now I'll be seen on the evening news whereby it'll be reported that if I'd of just had a compass...
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

Recently bought a micro SD card for my Garmin orgeon 650 that has land parcels highlighted with the owners name. Also shows public land and what Government entity owns it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:50 pm

Pete Hotard

"T.J, Do you enjoy your manhood being called into question every five minutes?" -Teul2
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:53 pm

huntinggpsmaps.com Initially Mississippi did not have a dedicated chip so I bought the Southeast regional which was junk. That didn't even have all the Federal and State land marked. The Mississippi dedicated chip has all of it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”