Timber Hunting - Handheld GPS

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rowltide

Timber Hunting - Handheld GPS

Postby rowltide » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Any suggestions?
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Re: Timber Hunting - Handheld GPS

Postby Denduke » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Use iPhone google map and figure out which tree to set up on as follow your way on the map in the dark. $.02. Oops might not be complicated enough for this bunch....
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:39 am

Garmin. Most any models work. Learn how to use it.

Phone. I use my iPhone heavily. It doesn't work to good without service and can fail you pretty quick. I'm talking back country heavy delta timber. But when it doesn't there isn't anything better!
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Henna Sag
Veteran

Postby Henna Sag » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:04 am

I use Montion X on my IPhone you can download maps so when you don't have service you still got a map of an area you are hunting. I used all of last year hunting public land in Arkansas.
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Where I hunt in AR there is zero service and none of the GPS services that are "apps" have a the trace feature where I can save the routes to and from holes.

Thank you for the feedback
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Gpsmap 62 series. Doesn't matter which one. Get birdseye imagery and free topo maps. Takes AA batteries so easy to keep some spares. Saves tracks, easy to log trips and keep notes organized.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:26 am

Regardless of any wiz-bang feature that the latest and greatest phone my have, it's absolute worst attribute is that the sumbeech might ring. No thank you, hell no, not now, NEVER. In order to appease my spousal unit that perpetually worries about everything, I do in fact carry a cell phone, turned off, in a zip lock baggie, down in my pack somewhere. If you are an old "geezer" such as myself, hunting without a cell phone is normal, not an exception, I think I was 30+ before I got a trendy car phone. :oops:

I live in the middle of nowhere, one night a guy showed up here wet & jibber-jabbering, lost as he could be. He & his buddy both had some cell phone app that tracked each other and the way back etc. Both batteries had died, they were screwed. The app ate all of their resources in an afternoon hunt time frame and he wandered lost, about five miles before he saw my house lights. I helped the first guy find the truck and then the other guy, it's a long funny story that I posted here.

It looks as though the newest cell phones are made so that you can't just throw in a new battery and keep on trucking.

I met a guy at the ramp who had a rather large (to me) cell phone and needed some help, wanting to know if he could get there from here, showing me the aerial imagery on his phone. I informed him that while it may look like a hand could just motor on through, there is in fact a water control structure and you can't. I told him about a reasonable plan "B". He was still in the parking lot dickering with his phone when I motored on, to each his own, new generation.

The GPS will never ring, it may actually float (depending on which model) and you can always throw in a couple of batteries and it will work for days. As to the original poster question, any 2016 model is going to have more features than you will ever use. Floating ability is my primary attribute that I look for, everything else is about the same.

Phone is the debil. I'm seriously considering the "Spot". I can just push a button, everyone knows that I'm alive, I can go on about my business and it never rings. Works camping too, sometimes I hunt a week straight, everybody's worried but me.

Rant over.

boog the caveman.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 am

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:43 am

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:49 am

When I go on anew trek where I could get lost I turn this lil one on throw in my sack in zip lock and forget about it. Under $100 had it for 10 years. Funny thing when I look at my track later there's a spot where it looks like I scribbled on the screen. Where I walked around putting out decoys...only used it to back track. Now iPhone it's just a back up.

Here's one for booger...years ago trudging in the back of a GTR thinking I just had to walk till I got to the water the trail ran out and just a compass had me nervous to go any further. Everything looked the same. Bout then had the urge to take a dump. So I continued on hanging toilet paper every 100 yards or so till I got to a spot. Littering ? Wadded most of the chit papper up and got back to the trail with couple mallets and woodies...
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:01 pm

All you guys that depend on an iPhone, more power to you. Every damn time I go somewhere new with my wife and ask her how to get there, "I've got it in the phone" We're lucky if that SOB can get us within a mile of where we want to be! Couldn't even get her to the higher education building in Greenville. From Cleveland! You wanna know where in the world you are, use a GPS. That's what they're made for. Wanna talk to someone, use your phone.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Although can't see my position on the pic, let's set up north end by the big cypress, no floating vegetation, sun to our back, crosswind, looks shallow enough to wade, 3/4 mile from road, no sense coming in from the south, yada, yada. Just saying it helps whole lot on sizing up a new place and monitor your position as you go. Most places in the flat delta u have service. If you don't u don't. Nothin is perfect! Ereybody got remote chargers. We did dis chit w/ compass for long time and more trail/error. GPS just get u there!

Here's an example of La marsh... With outboard the difficulty is to hunt the cuts/ponds despite the radical low tides. Ever had the decoys on dry land 2 hours after setup? I was able to find some spots that no matter how low it was I could still work the boat i.e. Be able to bank the boat setup near a shallow pond. You can't wade, lotta places can't walk the marsh. Anyway used google maps to accomplish this. It takes"boots on the ground" but you can actually see deeper cuts, channels, etc on the satellite imaging...
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I have a 62S that I really like. I am about to sell it to buy the Alpha 100 to use tracking dogs and navigating. No need to have 2, so if someone wants a lightly used 62S let me know. No clue what it's worth, but I won't need 2.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”