Forecast

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Forecast

Postby Anatidae » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Awfully wet and warm up there this year. Birds had not even arrived (and probably won't for another 2 weeks) in mid-latitude SK and we were shooting Green-winged Teal on some of our hunts. Plenty of open water still......and grains crops still in swaths due to the rains during the last month. Farmers can't get in the field to get their barley or canola.

'First' for this trip - we hunted small pockets of shallow water in harvested canola fields the first week - ducks and geese were finding invertebrates and green chutes. Canola is not a favored food source for waterfowl but they were in there.

Pea fields everywhere but no birds using them......it had been warm and wet enough that the waste grain sprouted underneath the stubble. With so much grain in swaths, why grub for grain when you can walk down a swath full of it, and gorge yourself.

Every year presents another variable - this one was no exception.

We hunted three dogs - what a treat. Rip retrieved his first (and my first, in Canada) banded bird this trip.

So, if you have ducks opening day - I'm happy for you. Otherwise, I'm afraid the mass migration is still well-North and way behind. It is as warm up there as it is here, right now. Waterfowl have everything they need - they're not moving.

Happy Hunting!
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Re: Forecast

Postby bigwater » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Nat.. Been wondering bout ya. Missed your posts tremendously.. Thanks for the heads up.
Sounds like mississippi will burn'em up opening day. :mrgreen:
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:24 am

Congrats on the band Randy. Post the band details when you get them.
Keep the info coming. Love your updates from the Great White North.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks, y'all.

The mallard drake was full-plummed.
Hatched: 2016
Banded: 8/23/16 near Pinehouse, SK
Recovered: 10/25/16 approximately 400km or 270mi SE of the banding location - or 1700 miles NNW of Memphis.

If this doesn't give a fella an idea of how delayed the mass migration is - little else will.

When the jet stream dips at Seattle and then shoots up to NWT, then back down to Ontario - and sucks warm air from North Dakota into the Canadian prairies......it takes a major shift to make it dip down to Dixie.

Up there: High today was 48. Low tonight is to be around 30. High tomorrow 51. It takes 5 days of low temps around 17 and no daytime high temps above 38 to lock water up and force birds Southward to the next open water. There has been no significant snow other than to push less-tolerant birds (like snow geese) on down the Flyway. When you still see (and shoot) Teal in November at that latitude........it'll be a long season down here.

Winter will have to arrive quickly - and with a vengeance.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:24 pm

Congrats on the band!

sounds like another year of blue sky's and well blue sky's. You haven't missed it yet.

I hope Mother Nature hits with a vengeance. Not saying that in regard to the people having to live through it, simply my gain to push birds south!

Fighting cotton mouths on the 9th of November isn't a great indication that winter is here or even approaching. Hopefully a good system will push through and freeze everything up north of the Memphis tn corridor.

Being optomistic.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks for the report, come on winter.

Three dogs, wow never done that. Tried two one time, too much work for me.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:28 am

Great report. Catahoula has a crap ton of birds on it. I took both my boys and another youth and the were down at 7:22. They would have been done in ten minutes but wanted to wait on big ducks. Spoiled i tell ya spoiled rotten
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Hey Randy, I meant to send you this video of the Gamefisher on the back of my canoe, but I was going so fast that I went to the future and just now got back.

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Man, that 1-banger is cookin'...... My Dad would be proud to that it's getting some use.

Thanks for the video - I had forgotten you bought that little motor. I like the tiller extension so you can balance the canoe. I've been there - done that! I imagine 'reverse' is a bit of a challenge, though. HA! :lol:
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 am

That pile of slabs though :o
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:29 pm

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”