Browning question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Browning question

Postby Buckwabit » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:19 pm

I have a browning BPS that I've had for years. It has the dura touch camo on it. I pulled it out the other day as a back up for dove hunting and the whole stock is sticky. My question is will the dura touch start breaking down after 10 years and how in the heck do I get it unsticky??
Chad Miley

I love the "Ole Man"..Plenty of Birds and No Company...
Long Cut
Veteran

Re: Browning question

Postby Long Cut » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 pm

I don't know about the sticky part but dura touch on my x2 began to peel and turn slightly yellow about 3 years after I got it. Wish I had an answer on the sticky part.
Last edited by Long Cut on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:58 am

If you have used bug spray recently it will peel dura touch like nobodies business. PS I have never seen dura touch hold up very well, nor have I ever read very good reviews on it. Google dura touch problems and there are literally thousands of forum topics with complaints.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:49 pm

It's been in the safe for over a year. No bug spray. I don't know how to get it off. I don't care if the coating comes off but I can't stand the sticky. It's still got hay stuck to it from dove day. I wonder if alcohol will get it off
Chad Miley

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:00 am

Had an X2 with Duratouch. It started to peel just a little bit and I saw where it was all going to end up. Put it up for sale, showed the buyer the peeling spot, and said so long. That was 5 years ago. I'll never own another gun with Duratouch.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 am

Not saying this will work but try some Goo Gone on a small spot and see,,,it takes care of sticky left over from stickers and such. Also sometimes WD40 will help remove such.
I'm Retired, leave me alone
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:48 pm

The Best There Is.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 am

I love the gun and have never owned anything but Brownings and One Beretta. I love Brownings and will never own anything else. The gun is 10 years old and has had 50 lbs of delta mud drug through it over the years. I just don't know about that sticky business
Chad Miley

TK
Regular

Postby TK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:28 pm

The reason the Browning and sx2 have the same problem is Browning makes both. Browning has made Winchester guns for years. Winchester started making Browning bullets this year. It was an agreement made years ago in a sell out between the two. Winchester couldn't make firearms and Browning couldn't make ammunition. Browning has been using the Winchester name to sell guns and Wichester is just now doing the same with ammunition.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

ALCOHOL DOES NOT WORK....when you find out let me know too
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
Florida Boy
Regular

Postby Florida Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:09 pm

I have a telescopic shooting stick that came camo ,about 2 years old it became sticky . I tried to clean, it doesn't work I wound up using denatured alcohol to strip. You may find the easiest thing to do is take it to a hydrographer and have them strip and redip to a pattern of your choice. my experience is any exposure to a solvent wd-40, alcohol,gun oil,anything may ruin a dipped or artificial finish most older gun cases have those inpregnated in the lining. Get it refinished and buy a new case.
randall25x
Veteran

Postby randall25x » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Call Browning and tell them what's going on. Have your serial number handy. Browning is very aware of the problems with dura touch. I called Tuesday for the exact same issues, except I have a Silver, not a BPS. They are sending a new Stock and forearm at no charge. Also told me to keep the originals. If they no longer have your camo, I was also told they would likely re dip the whole gun to match. (One of the newer patterns) I chose to just get black stocks as I plan on cerakoting the barrel and receiver anyway.. Hope you get the same response I did. The lady I talked to was Rita I believe.
Buckwabit
Duck South Addict

Postby Buckwabit » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 pm

I talked to Van this morning and Browning is aware of the problem and it's under warranty. I have to carry it back to him tomorrow and he is going to ship it off for me and handle everything. The gun will be fixed or replaced is what Browning says...
Chad Miley

Return to “General Discussion Forum”