Ask DS - Tumors on Old Dog

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Ask DS - Tumors on Old Dog

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:04 am

Ok, I want some advice from the DS braintrust. Jack has developed some skin tumors. (More like overgrown warts, actually. Because I have already been told that they are probably benign.) The first occurred while he had heartworms, and the vet told me not to do anything about it at the time because of his age and the heartworms. It didn't bother him nor slow him down any, so I wasn't too concerned. Now Jack is 12 years old and he has two on the top of his head. One came out before the move and has grown to the size of a silver dollar, and the other one has just started forming.

Jack IS beginning to show his age. He sometimes eats less. He doesn't take as much crap from the lap yapper as he used to. Etc. But he is still pretty active. He enjoys going for an evening run if it will cool off a little bit. He enjoys running around the yard. And these tumors do not seem to bother him as he does not appear to be in any pain.

What, if anything, is y'alls advice about getting rid of these things? My fear is that, due to his age, surgery might very well kill him. I know I am on borrowed time with the boy anyway. However, I don't want to hasten the inevitable. Just seeking opinions. Thanks.
Nobody owes you anything.
Long Cut
Veteran

Re: Ask DS - Tumors on Old Dog

Postby Long Cut » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:28 pm

My old dog had what I thought might be a small hernia. When I took him to the vet at about age 10 they said it has not a hernia but a tumor and biopsied it and it was benign. They suggested not removing because of age. It continued to grow over the next 2 years to the size of a baseball and vet still would not suggest removing, mainly because he was getting old. I never pushed it because he had developed eye and hearing issues so I figured taking the tumor off was not going to really prolong his life or improve his quality of life. I'm still not totally convinced that when he had to be put down that the tumor was not a factor but again he had a good run. I think its all in how far you want to go with an older dog and if you and your vet together think it will make a difference.
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:47 pm

If its not bothering him, then just leave it alone.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:14 am

Our miniature schnauzer has one that popped up a couple of years ago. Doesn't bother him and vet said not a good idea to put him under just to remove it. He's 14. It annoys me but we aren't taking the chance with sedation. He's almost deaf but still bounces around like he's a puppy at times. I would let it ride if it was my dog.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 am

He's not in pain right now, but the big one has started to grow. I know that these are going to kill him, so we are bracing ourselves for the inevitable. Meanwhile, we are watching for any changes in his actions/behaviors/demeanor, and enjoying what time we have left with the boy.
Nobody owes you anything.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”