Need some camp rules

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gps4
Veteran

Need some camp rules

Postby gps4 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Some friends and I are leasing some property this year and trying to form a hunting club, mostly for deer and turkey. Basically a close group of buddies who enjoy the camp experience and comraderie as much as the hunting itself. I've been tasked with drafting some club rules that will help get everyone on the same page with what to expect and what not.

So, what kind of things should we have in our club rules?

Thanks in advance.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Re: Need some camp rules

Postby 4dawgma » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:39 am

There should be a thread somewhere about the Battle of Raymond Hunting Club. They had some pretty solid rules.
Where'd who go?
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Specific, unalterable, succinct guest policy.
Florida Boy
Regular

Postby Florida Boy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Number one rule is Don't get mad don't ruin friendships over a deer. If you don't like it take your money and find another club next year. Rule number two. I agree with an earlier post on guest policies. In my lifetime and thirty years of clubs most fights have involved guests.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 am

Are you looking for harvest recs, guest rules, allowable times to hunt? What are the goals of the camp? Trophy, quality, quantity? How many acres? How many members?

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:17 am

If more than half of the members have met your wife, you're not allowed to bring your girlfriend.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 am

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 am

Send me your e-mail address & I'll send you a copy of our guidelines. It's primarily a Duck Club w/deer hunting, but you are welcome to edit to fit your needs.
As soon as you think you have a good set of "guidelines", a member will do something that most think are common sense and you'll have to amend. I'll send you a copy of our latest revision.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 am

After you get your "sensible" rules in writing, the club members should select one guy, who is honest, has common sense, and is fair and impartial, to be the club dictator....yes, I said the "dictator"....I've never seen a democracy work in a hunting club, in the long run....club member's pay their money, and in doing so, they feel like their opinions are the holy grail....however, opinions are like azzholes, and most members will become an azzzhole, sooner or later, in a democratic hunting club....you need no president, no vice president, and certainly no "board of directors", just a dictator....let the dictator do all of the decision-making, even if you have to pay him a small stipend or a discount on his dues, and everyone will be happy for a long time.
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:47 am

I have been in the same club for 40 years this year I have seen it all. Several years ago we had a group tried to take over that we let in over a couple years. When they failed they left and it left just a few of us to pay the lease. The ones left had been hunting there sense we where little boys and the club meant more to us than just hunting. With you saying all of you are friends then I would suggest making as few as possible. The one about guest is very important and the one that helped us the most is there is no personal stands everything is open to everybody. We just this year have gotten back to a full membership after 10 years of the failed coup. It will be interesting how we handle the extra members. PM me and I will send you our by- laws through an email.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 pm

KISS method when it comes to hunting club rules.

Less is better. Too many rules equals one big helluva headache for all parties involved.
uncleC
Veteran

Postby uncleC » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 pm

DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Granted there is just 3 of us in a group we have no written rules an only one unwritten rule which is no guest for deer or turkey. Guest only for small game. All 3 of us have children which are just getting shooting age and they will always be included.

It has worked great since 2003 but we may have to have some discussions in a few more years about the children bringing friends. All of us would rather see a kid harvest something than ourselves so we will probably end up being guides and shofers for more kids than our own.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm

A dictatorship is good when it comes to hunting clubs. The best run club I've seen was a dictatorship. There were just a few rules, less than 10 anyway. You either agreed to abide by them and paid your dues or got to keep you money if you did not like them. There was no guarantee you would be invited back next year either. People seem to always be on their best behavior when they know next year's membership is not guaranteed.
Scott Baker
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 am

I agree with the above thoughts. Simple, dictatorship, and each membership is renewable year to year.

Some thoughts:
Each family gets a number of deer -- all kids and guest got to that total.
Have some weekends of no guests -- maybe rut for deer and opening /closing weekend for ducks.
Kids are considered full members when they hunt by themselves.

Kids and guests will be the root of 90% of your issues.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner

Return to “General Discussion Forum”