Sunflower question???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Sunflower question???

Postby dukluk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 am

why is it legal to manipulate sunflowers for bringing in doves??? doves are migratory, too, and sunflowers are an agricultural crop in some areas.
biologists even have websites with instructions on how to best manipulate sunflowers to bring in the doves....just wondering.
maverick21
Veteran

Re: Sunflower question???

Postby maverick21 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Can't answer it but I don't think anyone would argue it as it could be taken away as well? Same as recommended top seeding of wheat at 70lbs per acre but what farmer wouldn't cover it to come up? I'll just be happy with what we have now I guess
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Here's a couple threads that help somewhat. Bottom line is, that's just the way it is.......

I think if dove numbers were regarded as delicate as waterfowl, there would be a reason to change it. But there's not enough interest in doves to really matter.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92956&hilit=dove

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102502&hilit=dove

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 pm

It used to be illegal, same as it is for waterfowl. But a high roller got busted dove hunting by the Feds in California on a mowed safflower field I think it was, back in the 70's. He contacted his Congressman. The rest is history.

You can read about it in one of Terry Grosz' books. It was either his book or another game warden book. I'll try to find it.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”