Debit card comprimised AGAIN @ Wal-Mart

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Debit card comprimised AGAIN @ Wal-Mart

Postby eSJay » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:15 pm

Watch your accounts folks! It's happened to me twice in a year.
My bank does a pretty decent job of detecting fraudulent charges & verifying with me whether or not it was authorized by me. This time they attempted to reach me by phone, but my phone was in the bottom of the lake so they deactivated the card. Good so far, right? Yes, but when I discovered my card was shut down, I went to the bank to get a new card. During this, I reviewed the recent transactions and found a couple for $1 each that I flagged as not legit, but overlooked a $49.88 charge to Wal-Mart. New card issued & I’m on my way. Fast forward a few weeks to when the paper bank statement comes in the mail. My wife just happened to see a charge on our paper bank statement from Wal-Mart in Miami (the same day I swiped it at the Madison Wal-Mart). So today I go back to the bank to dispute the charges in Miami. The banker tells me this is a very common occurrence and the common theme is “The Wal-Mart”.

Apparently, the crooks know to keep the charges under $50 so they are not required to enter a PIN.

I assume the SOB's are installing the card readers (as shown in the below video). Either that or Wal-Mart's system is being hacked or maybe an inside job, I dunno...........I know this.........I will no longer swipe my card @ wally world. Granted, these readers can be installed discreetly on other devices such as gas pumps, Red Box, ATM, ect… so I’m going to try to be more cognizant while swiping. I say all that to say this……..keep an eye on your money!
Granted, they only “almost” got away with $50, it could be worse. I’m considering going to the cash only method! I works too hard to be sharing an account with a d@mn thief!

http://www.csoonline.com/article/306730 ... ginia.html
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Debit card comprimised AGAIN @ Wal-Mart

Postby teul2 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Dang. Didn't know they just had a whole face plate to overlay over the reader. Crazy.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 am

This why i use a credit card and not my debit card. I pay it off every month so whats the difference. Better my credit card getting hit than my bank account. I'd rather dispute charges with my cash still in my account.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:51 am

Nobody owes you anything.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:44 pm

We fight this every day at the bank I work for. It is unreal how good they are getting at being crooks. I've had mine stolen 3 times this year.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net

Return to “General Discussion Forum”