Composite decking

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Composite decking

Postby teul2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:25 am

Of you guys that have used composite decking, have any of you used tongue and groove composite decking? I have a very old house and the porch needs redoing, and I don't want to ever have to do it again. But, I need it to look fairly original. So I am looking at boards like these.
Looking for experiences with these types of installs, though I doubt anyone else falls into the niche market I am in.
Also, how much, if any, hotter are these boards than regular wood in direct sun?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Aeratis-Battles ... t/50089472
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
JLT
Veteran

Re: Composite decking

Postby JLT » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:45 pm

One thing I can tell you is that most of the composite flooring like that is good stuff. Make sure that you follow manufacturers installation directions to a T.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:14 am

Teul,

I'm in a similar boat as you. My deck is in bad shape. I looked hard at the artificial decking , however everyone I talked to that has used it has tried to steer me away. They all say it sags horribly after about 6 months in between joists.

The cost for me is also pretty prohibitive compared to what I would pay for treated lumber .

I did buy a dozen or so boards for fence repair / trim out front and about 1/2 the boards wound up warping this summer
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:28 am

Look at Hardi products and steer away from anything sold at Home Depot or Lowes. There will be a regional rep for them. Ask him what they will do if you place joist on recommended spacing and the boards sag. Teul.....if I knew more for certain I would share, but I'm not a pro with this synthetic stuff. I do know that Hardi products has a rep for each area and I am pretty sure they will stand behind the product come hell or high water. We use a lot of it for siding and cornice, but not much for decking.....just due to the nature of our business, but it is good stuff from my experience.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”