Norfork

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Norfork

Postby Blackduck » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:53 am

Headed up there this weekend for my first trout trip. Does anybody have any tips? Hopefully I will stay dry and land a few fish?
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Beaudog1
Veteran

Re: Norfork

Postby Beaudog1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Odds are you'll have a great trip. Make sure to walk over and check out dry run creek (and fish it if you have a kid within the age limit!); some real monsters in there.

Are you spin fishing or fly? Guide?
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:00 pm

It's fun to catch them on a fly, but if you just want to catch some fish, get the Berkley Power Bait and drop it on the bottom with a small weight and let it bounce on down stream a bit. You will catch them that way for sure, but on the fly is a lot more fun.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Fly fishing. I'm bringing a spincast for my 10yo yute in case the going gets tough. We will definitely hit dry run a few times. Some of our party have fished here before. I really want to hit the catch and release area but don't know how to get there.

mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 pm

We used to go to the Norfork at the White; Roses trout dock 27 years ago in college.

We used a john boat with a trolling motor on the front and rear. We'd float with the current and just keep the boat straight. Spinning reel with corn and lots of beer. Always caught a lot.

Good luck.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:05 pm

http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/pages/ ... orfork.htm

Have you been to Blanchard Springs Caverns? Awesome!

Square tail been in river awhile

Good place for cutthroats
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 am

Two Rivers Fly Shop is owned by a fella from Grenada, MS. Stop in and ask Dominic (guy with huge beard) what they are biting on.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Fish are biting pretty good. Especial right in front of Norfork resort. Double especially with corn. Kids are living the dream. It has taken a while to get used to nymphing. We want to the Two Rivers fly shop. Met Dom. Good man but didn't mention the Grenada connection. Lots of good quality gear in there as well.

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 am

bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Do yourself a favor and grab a couple of Duracell jigs before you go (size 16) Ian at the Jackson Orvis store can hook you up with those, if not let me know and I'll send you some. super buggy and get down fast. Not sure what the water is doing up there right now but if it is like it has been this time in past years nymphing will be your best bet. If you happen to see rising fish early in the morning especially after a rain a red wing ants is probably what they're feeding on. Usually a small black dry in the 18 to 20 range will work as an imitation. This time of year don't be afraid to drown your dries. Insect falls are common and they will usually ride just under the surface or in the surface film much like any emerger. Also don't be afraid of throwing clunky streamers. I know it's not winter time but I've had great days up there this time of year fishing smaller sculpin and even shad patterns I.e mini sculpzillas, fish skull zonkers in a sz 6, and woolybuggers. Have fun up there. It's been almost a full year since I've fished the Norfork and that is a dang shame. I'm jealous your getting to go.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Well it was a excellent trip. High water from Bull Shoals release kinda torpedoed us on the last morning but it was ok. Water backed up the Norfork from the White. It was exceptionally still and quiet. Dom at the fly store was a big help. Super nice guy. He is from around there and said the Grenada owners were busy guiding. He sold it to them but still works there. Ian at the Orvis store here was a good resource and exceptionally nice. Wanted me to txt him all the pictures and such. We had most look on the nymphs. They beat up all my ruby red zebra midges one afternoon. We saw a bunch of fish feeding just under the surface but could never get the fly type/drift combo correct to catch any of them. I tried 4-5 different flies by Two islands while I watch at least a dozen feed. Soft hackle, y2k, red booty, partridge and orange, olive buggers. Even the kitchen sink. I'll go back before a year is out. Too easy not too.

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Any cutthroats or even a brookie? Pics would be nice... Yet to get a brookie. Seen some swimming in low water around the trout dock. Watched a guy w/San Juan worm run it along the dark line under a indicator w/split shot above the boat launch as the generation rose catch three bookies in a row! Amazing...
All I have is a copied pic.....
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Caught several Brookies. On flies I ties which made it sweeter. Had a cutt get off at the net. Never got a brown ironically enough.

I'll get pics whenever I get it figured out how to get them off the phone :roll:

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:39 pm

We have caught Brooks on the North Fork of the White in Missouri. Caught three in three casts one time on a sow bug on the same rock.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:43 am

If Bigwater can do it anybody can!
To post a picture, all you do is click the tab that says attachments. Click add file. Find the picture in your files and then click post. You need to be on desk top version to see "attachment"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”