Best waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Best waders

Postby mallardchaser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:53 pm

I need a new pair of waders, again. I've been buying the cheapest ones for the last few years bc it seems I have to get a new pair every year. I don't like lacrosse, they always leak for me. I loved hodgman, can't find any.

What about: Drake or Banded? I'm not worried about the price if they are worth it.

Thanks
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Re: Best waders

Postby mossyisland » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Here is a article we wrote last week. I hope this helps.

http://www.ducksouth.com/TheHotelBlind/ ... k-hunting/
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 am

"Best waders", IMHO there is no such thing.
I have not had a pair last more than 2 years since my $75 clearance pair of Rockys that lasted 7 or 8 years. But I have been wearing the cheap Lacrosse breathables for the last 2 or 3 years and will not go back to neoprene unless it is well below freezing.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:43 am

Bought some Drake waders last year and really liked them. Can't attest to durability yet. I did get my onsale towards end of season at Simmons. Think they were about 50% off. 3.5MM for $150 I believe it was. Previous pair was Lacrosse and after 6 years sprung a leak directly on the nads. That was the last day I wore those.
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:30 pm

I have a year on the Banded waders. I don't know how durable they will be, but they are far and away the most comfortable waders I have ever owned. Like wearing big overalls. Im not talking about the new 600 pair they introduced this year-those must be sewn with gold thread or infused with diamond dust.
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 pm

I have a pair of the Drake MST waders. The boots leak and they are unbelievably heavy / clunky.

It was my first pair of designer waders and I would not purchase them again.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Before reading this thread, I've seen and heard nothing except horror stories about drake waders.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:40 pm

I guided out of some MST's for almost 3 years. It was the longest I have ever had a pair without a leak.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:32 am

Banded.

I like comfort and being dry. Banded seems to provide both! How long they last is uncertain though.

Mileage varies greatly when it comes to waders.

My cabelas held strong for 4 years, then one day decided to give in. I wasn't made about it. I put those through the ringer. However, my buddy went through 3 pair in 2 weeks trying to get a pair that didn't leave him wet (new in the box).

Drake... Keep a change of clothes in your truck. Saw 4 guys pull them out of the box and remove tags the morning of. 3 poured water out when we got back to the trucks. It was ridiculous how much water had leaked in. The other guys were tight and dry though. Odd's are against them though.

Lacrosse: Leaked and where heavy. Very uncomfortable to have to hick several hundred yards in.

Like I said, go banded. Light, comfortable, and seem to keep water out.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Thx

Does lacrosse make macks waders
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 am

I believe lacrosse makes the macks brand now. I've got 2 pairs now. 1 is chest waders and comfortable but wear the waist high ones 90% of the season which are my go to. Worn for about 4 yrs now and not a problem out of at all
quakwacker
Duck South Addict

Postby quakwacker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 am

I got the Mack's waders last year and had no problems. 2 years is about all you are going to get out of any of them if you do a lot of walking.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 am

Drake waders leaked out of the box. I returned them and pair number 2 started leaking middle of season. Returned them for store credit. Same situation with their wader pants. Also absolutely the coldest boots ever. I have no idea how market late season technology when a pair of canvas 200 gram felt better.

Banded watched a buddy buy them last year. They were leaking by day 2. Went and got another pair same stuff. He said by far the best wader he has ever worn, but doesn't matter when they leak.

Best waders I have had are Columbia. I believe Itasca make them. I am on year number 3 with these.
http://www.wingsupply.com/footwear/wade ... aders.html

If the new banded black label waders offered lifetime warranty I would buy them, but they don't. I have heard good things about cabelas, and macks waders. I personally will keep buying these 119 waders every year or 3.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”