Weldbilt

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
TODO
Duck South Addict

Weldbilt

Postby TODO » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Anybody got any experience with a Weldbilt? It looks like a decent boat and I can get one for about 4K cheaper than a comparable war eagle but I've never been in one and don't know anybody that has one. Any thoughts on their quality? My last 3 boats have been F&F. They aren't worth fooling with now if they are even still in business, so that's not an option. Thanks
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Re: Weldbilt

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Plan on getting the ribs rewelded. I know a couple of folks that have had that problem
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:28 pm

You will not be disappointed. My brother bought one, a 1546 two seasons ago from Backwoods Landing in Alabama and he/we have hunted it hard. Compared to my 20+ year old War Eagle the Weldbilt is a tank and the War Eagle seems a bit flimsy. The Weldbilt bow is sharply pointed (easy in the timber) and the width of the gunnels is wide and solid. They will configure it however you wish, as far as interior layout, switches, LED's etc.

We have been used to hunting from a War-Eagle with the seats in an infinitely adjustable track, alas the Weldbilt set up is fixed seats in the pedestal holes, that's the only wrinkle. I guess all boats are like that? But they will put more than one hole per cross section. Just tell them where you want it.

Very solid boat, after two seasons of bouncing off large trees, running over the smaller ones, jumping logs, nary a problem. I'd buy one tomorrow. Their trailers are top notch too.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Something to consider…the ribs in a weldbilt run across the boat and as a result, the bottom of the boat can easily develop hooks in between each rib which will greatly hinder performance. Really stumpy areas are tough on these sorts of boats. Personally, I'd look for a boat with longitudinal ribs and at least .100 gauge aluminum.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 pm

From guys that know welding, I've heard poor reviews of the quality of the welds. If you plan to put an outboard on the boat, I wouldn't worry about paying for thicker aluminum and longitudinal stringers. If you're looking to put a mud motor or surface drive and riding in plane through cypress knees, look for a mud hull, preferable .125 thickness, but of course that's going to be a lot more $$$. Weldbilt does make .100 boats by special order but most used models are going to be .080. War Eagles are 0.100 standard.

I looked hard at weldbit bUT never could find what I wanted for the right price. I actually ended up with a lightly used 2002 FF. Got a Backwater Longtail to put on it and going to take it easy in the thick stuff.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
HardCashBrake
Regular

Postby HardCashBrake » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 pm

I have an old 1436 and it's been good. I have run a 15 Johnson and now have a 13 hp copperhead. It works well for my uses. If you are going to run an outboard then weldbuilt is a good boat. If you are thinking surface drive then go somewhere else.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
TODO
Duck South Addict

Postby TODO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I will steer clear.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Check out long beach aluminum boats.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”