300BLK bolt gun

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

300BLK bolt gun

Postby teul2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:38 pm

So I am building a 300BLK AR. I would later like to get a bolt gun also, but it occured to me it would be great if the bolt gun took the same AR mags. So I made a quick search online and only came up with one bolt gun out there that takes AR mags, the Mossberg MVP series. But I don't see where they make a 300BLK.

It's not a show stopper for me to buy a bolt gun later in this caliber, but it would be a big plus. I think commonality of mags could play a big roll in the possible situations we seem to be getting closer and closer to facing. And I like to do my research way in advance. :wink:

Is anyone aware of a factory rifle in 300BLK, or even a replacement chassis for a bolt rifle that takes AR mags?
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: 300BLK bolt gun

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:52 am

I don't know, but was thinking that if you got that rifle in 223, have a rifle smith chamber a 300 blk barrel on it.

I know it would cost more but you could get a really nice barrel and have the action trued up at the same time which is never a bad thing.

I'm not positive but think the savage rifles may be set up for "user friendly" barrel changed at home too?? Check on that for verification. It may be that you have to get it set up for the "barrel nut" system?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 am

I have both.

I have a ruger amreican Ranch Rifle in .300 blk - it has a removable mag, but doesn't take AR mags

I also have an AR SBR in 300 blk that I built.

I would personally not like the AR mags in the .300 blk bolt gun, I hunt with mine and don't like the long mag sticking down in the way. however - if your hog hunting or something of that nature I could see why you would want the extra rds.....

I use 10 rd mags in my AR15 SBR when deer hunting so they don't get in the way.

if your interested hunting with sub sonics - let me know - I have some loads that will expand and lay the hammer down at 950 fps - and they are super quite...
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:59 pm

The MVP is the only one I know of that excepts AR mags.. But they don't offer it in 300 BLK.. But they might soon..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”