Metal/steel homes

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Metal/steel homes

Postby levi127 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 am

Who all on here has one possibly? Wife is really looking into getting property and having one built on it. Just trying to get a idea of what you think and also who you used and etc. thanks!
SCOOTER
Duck South Addict

Re: Metal/steel homes

Postby SCOOTER » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Wife has been looking at them for years, on facebook there is a metal house page that she liked and it will put one up on the page alot, cant even tell the Metal, really great looking homes.
Kids are like coots,they come in droves for me..........
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:52 pm

My parents are building one right now. I think its gonna be really cool. Inside can be as nice as you want it to be.

Whatever you do, whatever Contractor you use DO NOT use Russ Smith out of Oakland. Parents are in the process of suing him right now. They had the building 4" out of square and were forcing the ridge cap and sheeting on. Every piece of metal had to come off and re-ordered. Set them back 2 months on their building and had to get the right company to come in and strip it down to red iron and start from scratch basically. Nothing in the lap bolt holes. Red iron in the wrong places. Bad deal.
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 am

sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:53 pm

We built our lodge out of metal and finished the inside off. You can't tell the difference from a stick built house inside. We didn't finish the outside off with brick or hardy plank. It's easier for us to maintain that way
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:50 am

TK
Regular

Postby TK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm in the HVAC buisness and we just finished a house built out of all metal. During this first summer the home owner could never get the house as cold as he would like. We were confident we had the house sized right so we started checking for problems with the equipment then for air leaks in the attic.

We were so convinced we were missing some large air leak we purchased a thermal imaging camera to scan over the duct. We found no leaks in the duct so we took our "new toy" inside looking around. We could see every metal stud in the house on an outside wall and every joist in the ceiling through the Sheetrock. We changed the home owners unit out last week at no charge to him. Best we could figure the heat transfer load of the studs on that house is around 1ton for a 2,350 sq.foot home.
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 pm

I would recommend spray foam insulation along with the insulation the metal building comes with. That's what my parents are going to do after they frame up the inside.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”