First duck 'dog'

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

First duck 'dog'

Postby skywalker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 am

Looking at getting my first 'duck' dog and was looking for pointers. I am not looking for a champion breeder, but want a hunting partner for me and my 9 yr old son to work with.
1. Looking for a lab
2. Anybody near Columbus, MS that trains on a regular basis I can learn from/practice with?
3. What age is best to get the puppy for training?
4. Best DVD set to start with?

I've included my cell below for any text/calls for advice. Thanks in advance fellas.

Luke 'skywalker'
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Re: First duck 'dog'

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:32 am

Well I don't know how much great advice I have but here is what I know. I don't know much you are wanting to drop on a puppy ,but I know of some great litters for 600-700, and they are from great dogs. I wouldn't buy anything without all health clearances.

Training. I did 50% myself and sent my dog off to a trainer for the later stuff. Training starts the when you get the dog. Not hardcore, but you are always training. I worked my dogs butt off on the basics (sit, here, heal, and stay), and she started hearing whistle commands as soon as I got her. She had no idea what it was, but when she started blinds she already knew (1 peep I need to sit, multiple peeps I need to haul ace back)

Trainers: Before I considered a trainer I was very positive that she would make it before I ever sent her off. Is it worth the 700 a month? I don't know sometimes it is, and sometimes I think heck she just goes and gets it and brings it back. Then I hunt with hey mine is a meat dog, he didn't go to school. This is how it usually goes when I hear that. Dog has no blind manners, dog has no directional casting (owner usually says over, hey you, listen to me), dog usually will drop bird if on land, and not deliver to hand. I could go on for days. So is a trainer worth it? Well if you hunted with a trained dog and one that is of the other then there is a hail of a difference and its worth it to me.

I am for sure not saying that there aren't dogs that have never been professionally trained that aren't great dogs. I am saying the ones I have hunted with are night and day away from my dog.

PS there is an awesome post in the gun dog section think it is titled puppy post.
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Postby Hayes » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:58 am

I own and have read just about all the books out there on training retrievers but time and time again I go back to Richard Wolters "The Water Dog". I'm not saying its the best and I am sure there are numerous people that will disagree with his methods but it is by far my favorite and taught me more than the others. I am currently working with a puppy that is not quite 11 weeks and he is sitting pretty reliable on a single whistle tone, he will stay, and he will haul butt back with come and short whistle blast. Is he reliable? Of course not, not at this point anyway but he is learning to learn. And like Get-N-Rite said you need to start him the day you get him. Let him play and socialize him anywhere and everywhere you go. Its amazing how fast they learn. Secondly, be CONSISTENT in everything you do from feeding to training. Its been 12 years or so since I last worked with a dog so my memory wasnt as clear on a few things but it really is a true joy. I think if one has the patience and more importantly the time and want to that Wolter's and other lay out a clear plan that you can finish a dog out on that will be well behaved.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm

When I got my 2nd dog almost 3 years ago I was shocked how much prices had increased in a bit more than a decade. You can spend as little or as much as you desire and you will probably see the difference in price and quality, though that's not always the case. I'm not saying all inexpensive dogs are bad and I'm not saying all high dollar dogs are good. I had a high dollar high bred british dog that was worthless and near untrainable and a $350 dog with the right training that was incredible and hunted for almost 12 years. Currently I have a dog that I purchased for around $750 if I remember from a member on this site. Pedigree and price fit what I wanted and could afford and the dog has turned out pretty well. He's not a field champion because I don't put that kind of work into him but he is a great duck dog. He has his flaws but mostly that my fault for not putting in enough time to correct them. I did some basics with him until he was around 4 months before he went to trainer. I think he stayed 3 months based on what I asked for him to be able to do and he goes back for a month every year at my request. I tell the trainer what he had problems with the previous season and when we train and what I would like him to work on. He is at the trainer now as a matter of fact. Its all about what you can do yourself, how much time and what resources you have (land, water, winger, training parnters etc.) In college I worked with a pro trainer and several days a week and had access to his advice and resources. Now days, I don't have the access and resources that I once did so I pay someone that is very good to help me out. You can get your dog a good head start before he goes to trainer with Water Dog book or video, as stated before its not perfect but good for beginners. Also beware that you can mess one up quick too if you are not up to speed on what you are doing and it may take a trainer that much longer to get your mistakes fixed. I would decide if you are going to use a trainer, then research them, decide on one and call them and let them talk you through what they would suggest you do with the puppy before bringing it to them. Duck dogs are fun, enjoy your Puppy.
ENG.HUNTER

Postby ENG.HUNTER » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Buy Jackie Merten's "Sound Beginnings". Watch the DVD all the way through before you ever bring the puppy home and then watch the segments again to refresh yourself as the puppy grows.
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 am

I just lost my first dog. I had her for 11 years and she taught me 1000% more than I ever taught her. The best advice I ever got was get with someone that trains dogs and listen to them. I had a hard time processing everything that was been told to me and I came across the book "10 Minute Retriever" and for some reason I could understand and it helped me put it all together. I also went to a hunt test and set back and watched people run dogs and I could see what everybody was saying about the different style of dogs. Picking the dog that fits your needs and style is way more important than anything else. If you get the wrong dog your first dog experience will not end well but if you choose the right one you will be getting your son's best friend and both of your lives will be changed for ever.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:46 am

I'll second 10 minute receiver as a good one for that would be good for your immediate needs and up to some of the advanced stuff. Fowl Dawgs basics was the DVD I started with. It was good to be able to see some of the stuff on video that you read in the books. I bought a couple of DVDs and numerous books. I would suggest you do the same. Most of the programs use the same basic approach, and it was good for me to here each author describe it slightly different as to help me understand better. Smart Works by Evan Graham is high recommended as a completed training system. I had the printed version and not the DVDs. I found the basic stuff was not very well covered in the printed version. I would use something like 10 Minute retriever in conjunction with Smart Works. Once you get to more advanced stuff I thought Smart Works did a good job and cover much more advanced training than what the bulk of the diy dog training systems cover.

just my 2 cents
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 am

Mark Winters has pups on the ground by Bill Billups' FC Smitty. REAL good breeding for $900, he has males and females available.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Is he on this forum?
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 am

I'm not sure, I sent him a message to see, but he's on Facebook. From Corinth.
fishduck
Veteran

Postby fishduck » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

We train over the state line in Alabama between Vernon and Sulligent. Try to train on Thursday afternoons during daylight savings time and occasionally on the weekend. You are more than welcome to train with the group anytime.

Will PM you my cell number.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”