Pocket Knife

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Pocket Knife

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:49 am

I have found a new respect for that most manly of pocket accessories - the pocket knife. Currently, I am remodeling a house TRYING to get it ready to sell. I have used my pocket knife to cut sheetrock, cut open boxes and break them down for removal, trim and shape holes for joint compound, remove everything from tape and wall paper to plaster and wall fabric, unscrew light fixtures, splice wiring, and everything else you can possibly think to use a multitool for, and it just keeps on working. Which brings me to a question or three?

What was your first pocket knife?
What is your favorite pocket knife?
What pocket knife are you carrying right now?

I'll start.

My first was a cub scout pocket knife (It was a lock blade that forced you to use proper safety technique.)
My favorite was a Boy scout pocket knife (I lost my original several years ago, and my wife got me another for this past Father's Day.)
My current is the one used above, which is a Victrinox (Swiss Army) with pliers and a Phillips head
Nobody owes you anything.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Re: Pocket Knife

Postby Blackduck » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:56 am

I had a friend killed in a wreck in highschool. My dad and I were eating lunch and discussing events. We stopped in a sporting good store and he bought me a two blade simple Buck. I carried it for 10-12 yrs before retiring it. My first was a black pencil thin blade buck that my father broke the tip off of. On purpose. I was 8 or so when I got it. Currently I have a benchmade. Their 154cm steel is hard to beat.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 pm

First was a buck folder. Like the 110 but the smaller version. I been carrying benchmades for the last 10 years. Very good knives.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 am

my first was either a buck or old timer folding knife from my granddad.
my current carry knife is a spyderco dragonfly 2.
there are a few knives that live in a drawer now that get little carry time (ken onion blur, kershaw od-2, al mar osprey, along with other el-cheapos from the parts house/closeouts/etc)
i also have a benchmade gentlemen's pocket knife i got on sale that is really nice, but only gets moderate carry time (482 megumi nak-lock). the spacers got loose, so i sent it back for repair and they replaced all of the spacers with brass and sharpened the knife (service of benchmade, just pay shipping).
i prefer a smaller knife (<3.25" blade) that disappears in my pocket over larger ones like the blur.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day my grandson which turned 12 in February is wanting a pocket knife. I have always had an Old Timer and was thinking about get him one. I would give him mine and will one day but non of mine are lock blades.
HeKing
Veteran

Postby HeKing » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:36 pm

First knife I remember having was a little 3 blade knife from Frost that my uncle gave me. I was pretty small, don't remember how old I was though.

Currently carry one of 3 Benchmade knives depending on the day and which one I pick up.

I've got 2 custom fixed blade knives on order. One a smaller every day carry knife and the other a larger skinner. Damascus blade and scales made from spalted pecan that fell in my grandfathers yard several years ago.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”