Ask DS - Daycare

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS - Daycare

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 pm

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:10 pm

My daughter was a family's nanny for several years from the time she could drive until half way through college. She got paid every week and even went on vacations, she was just like part of the family. She is still part of their family.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:26 pm

It might sound like I'm judging, but I'll just write down what we did, add a little commentary, and let it stand on its own. This does not answer Jacksbuddy's OP, and I wasn't planning on posting to this thread until lunch today. I went by a church to pay a fee, and saw a room with 1-2 year olds. There were several ladies in there, and they were doing the best they could, but there were just too many kids upset at the same time. 3 of them were in baby beds screaming with no one to come to them. Babies cry, believe me I've let mine cry it out a few times. But I was thankful that my 1 year old boy was at home with his momma at that moment, and not in one of those beds.

After I graduated school, we bought a house. We had saved up a down payment while I was in school by basically living on about 1/2 of my wife's salary, which was about 36K before taxes. When were looking at houses, we decided we would follow the long-told Dave Ramsey formula: 15 year mortgage, 20% down, and payment no more than 25% of take-home pay. We followed every rule except for the last part. We said it would be no more than 25% of only my take-home pay.

A year after we bought the house, our first daughter was born. My wife is definitely career oriented, and while I preferred she stay at home I told her it we could make it work if she wanted to continue her job. She took maternity leave and never went back. I can't say that I know all of what was going on in her head on that decision even though we discussed it a lot. But I know a major part of it was leaving the baby with anyone else besides us. But to leave work, for her, was a sacrifice. It gets to your head being around nothing but little ones all day.

I know every situation is different, but I would encourage folks to sit down and take a look at the overall picture. Mom may not want to stay home even if she could, and that's OK. But if you both would like for her to stay home with the main hurdle to that being finances, I would encourage whoever it is to sit down and look at what it would take to make that happen. The required changes might not be worth it. Then again it might be. Whatever you choose, choose it whole-heartedly knowing that it is the best decision overall.

Romans 14:1-9
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”